Friday, July 4, 2014

Book Review: One Past Midnight by Jessica Shirvington

18594392Title: One Past Midnight
Author: Jessica Shirvington
Publisher: Bloomsbury USA Children's
Release Date: July 22, 2014
Source: Publisher for Review
Edition: eARC (352 pages)
Genre: Paranormal

Above all else, though I try not to think about it, I know which life I prefer. And every night when I Cinderella myself from one life to the next a very small, but definite, piece of me dies. The hardest part is that nothing about my situation has ever changed. There is no loophole.
Until now, that is...
For as long as she can remember, Sabine has lived two lives. Every 24 hours she Shifts to her 'other' life-a life where she is exactly the same, but absolutely everything else is different: different family, different friends, different social expectations. In one life she has a sister, in the other she does not. In one life she's a straight-A student with the perfect boyfriend, in the other she's considered a reckless delinquent. Nothing about her situation has ever changed, until the day when she discovers a glitch: the arm she breaks in one life is completely fine in the other.
With this new knowledge, Sabine begins a series of increasingly risky experiments which bring her dangerously close to the life she's always wanted... But just what-and who-is she really risking?

**Thank you so much to BloomsburyUSA for letting me read this early in exchange for an honest review!**

Sabine lives two different lives. In Wellesley, she's popular and everyone loves her at school. Sabine has two brothers though she doesn't spend much time with them since they're older than her. She even has a wonderful boyfriend named Dex and everyone tells them that they are literally the perfect couple and that nothing could probably ever tear them apart. In Roxbury, she has a sister named Maddie and a best friend named Capri. She's not popular or anything in this life, but she does have friends and she has a job at the local pharmacy.

Every night at midnight on the dot Sabine switches lives. She goes through what she calls "the shift" which she says can be really exhausting, especially when you switch to a new life where you are sleeping when you were just awake. It takes the body a while to catch up because your body is still asleep while your mind is wide awake and it takes a while to gain control and actually wake up.

One day, Sabine breaks her arm in Roxbury, though when she shifts into Wellesley, it turns out that her broken arm didn't come with her. This doesn't usually happen, so she is really surprised by it. Since she finds that this is how things are, she decides to experiment around a bit and see what things do and don't effect both bodies.

I've never read a book where the main character experiences two different lives, so I really liked that aspect of this book. I also found it really cool that both of her lives were pretty much polar opposites. Sabine really knew what it was like to be both popular and normal, so it meant that she did have a good head on her shoulders compared to most popular characters in books who are mostly snobby to everyone else. Sabine was not like that at all.

Another really cool thing about this book was that Sabine seriously lead two different lives. It's like she's 18 but she's really 36, because she doesn't skip days in both of her lives. So she will have to live two Saturday, July 2, 2010's instead of just one, and they happen right after the other. So in reality she had a ten day school week and then a four day weekend. In reality, Sabine had to go through school twice, and then graduate twice. It's just really weird to think about; the fact that someone would have to do that. I mean, she's really smart, so it clearly paid off in the long run.

I also loved Ethan. Yes, I think I need to devote like a paragraph to that guy. I won't get into detail about who he is or anything because I don't want to spoil, but just know that you have him to look forward to. He was such an awesome character and I loved every single thing about him. I didn't really like Sabine's parents in Roxbury though. They were such a pain to her! Her mother in Wellesley was so incredibly cool. She was always there for Sabine and it was really sweet.

This is the first book that I've read by Jessica Shirvington, though I'm definitely going to try to check out her other books and any more of her books that she writes in the future because this one was all around really interesting. It was such a unique idea and I'd highly recommend it if you're looking for a paranormal-contemporary twist of a novel.

Rating:

7 comments:

  1. I have this one for review so I'm glad to see that you enjoyed it. It sounds like a really interesting read :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was; I hope you enjoy it as much as I did! :)

      Delete
  2. You just saved me hours of searching, I've been looking for this book. HAHA I forgot what the title was…*Sigh

    I'm so excited for this one! Thanks so much for sharing <3
    www.lite-rate-ture.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. the premise sounds great and the way you talk about it makes me like this more. also Sabine sounds like a heroine I'll like :D definitely adding this to my TBR list!

    czai @ the Blacksheep Project

    ReplyDelete
  4. This one is on my list! Loved Jessica's Embrace series.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can't believe I haven't really looked into One Past Midnight yet! It sounds awesome :D The two different lives thing sounds so interesting and mind boggling... Also, Ethan, whoever he is, will be someone I will definitely look forward to meeting. Also, I haven't read any of the author's works but they all sound really good. Awesome review!

    ReplyDelete

Hello there! (: Thanks so much for taking the time to comment. I read each and every one!