Thursday, June 5, 2014

Book Review: When the World Was Flat (and We Were in Love) by Ingrid Jonach

15767908Title: When the World Was Flat (and We Were in Love)
Author: Ingrid Jonach
Publisher: Strange Chemistry
Release Date: September 3, 2013
Source: Publisher for Review
Edition: ARC
Genre: YA Science Fiction
Main Character: Lillie Hart

Looking back, I wonder if I had an inkling that my life was about to go from ordinary to extraordinary.
When sixteen-year-old Lillie Hart meets the gorgeous and mysterious Tom Windsor-Smith for the first time, it's like fireworks-for her, anyway. Tom looks as if he would be more interested in watching paint dry; as if he is bored by her and by her small Nebraskan town in general.
But as Lillie begins to break down the walls of his seemingly impenetrable exterior, she starts to suspect that he holds the answers to her reoccurring nightmares and to the impossible memories which keep bubbling to the surface of her mind-memories of the two of them, together and in love.
When she at last learns the truth about their connection, Lilly discovers that Tom has been hiding an earth-shattering secret; a secret that is bigger-and much more terrifying and beautiful-than the both of them. She also discovers that once you finally understand the world is round, there is no way to make it flat again.
An epic and deeply original sci-fi romance, taking inspiration from Albert Einstein's theories and the world-bending wonder of true love itself.

Thank you Strange Chemistry for the review copy in exchange for an honest review!

 When Lillie goes back to school, she finds that there's a new student. In Lillie's small town, there aren't new kids often, so this is pretty exciting for everyone. The new kid ends up being a guy named Tom, who Lillie just so happens to have been dreaming about a lot lately. Tom of course ends up with the popular girl at school, which is no surprise to anyone. Lillie still feels like she has a connection to Tom in some way though. As the story continues, connections between them are revealed.

This book was the perfect paranormal romance. It had lots of twists and turns, most that I did not see coming, which was really fantastic. My favorite thing about this book would have to be learning about Tom and Lillie's pasts, because they were just so interesting. I loved how right from the beginning we knew that something was up with Tom, though we got to find out everything along with Lillie.

I also loved Lillie's mom. She worked at a kind of hippy store, and she was really into reading aura's and sensing peoples moods, which was something I didn't know much about before reading this book. She knew all about different remedies that could help soothe you and make you feel better as well, which may be why whenever Lillie left school early and said that she just needed a nice bath or something, her mom was okay with it.

Going into this book, I had no clue that it was a parallel universe book. I mean, I should have, because it's kind of stated right there in the synopsis: "taking inspiration from Albert Einstein's theories". I'm one of the biggest parallel universe fans, so this made the book an even better read for me. I have to say that my favorite part of this book was definitely the ending, because we find out so much at once. It was definitely worth the read once the ending came along. I was a bit worried for a while that this book would end up having a sequel because I didn't think it was possible to end it with the amount of pages left, though Ingrid Jonach wrapped everything up rather nicely and leaves the reader quite pleased. The reader also, of course, gets to guess some of the things that happened, which I liked as well.

All in all, I'd definitely suggest picking this up if you love romances with parallel universes, such as I do.

Recommended for fans of:
Fallen by Lauren Kate
Obsidian by Jennifer L. Armentrout
Parallel by Lauren Miller

Rating:
Have you read this novel? I'd love to hear your thoughts!

6 comments:

  1. New one to me. Love the premise. I'll have to check it out. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is one that I've been very interested in reading! Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had no idea this was a parallel universe book either! Interesting. I've seen nothing but raving reviews for this one Well wrapped up endings are my favorite, open ones just leave me wanting to know answers. Glad you enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The parallel universe theme made it even better. :)

      Delete

Hello there! (: Thanks so much for taking the time to comment. I read each and every one!