Tuesday, June 24, 2014

Book Review: Oblivion by Sasha Dawn

18404448Title: Oblivion
Author: Sasha Dawn
Publisher: EgmontUSA
Release Date: May 27, 2014
Source: Netgalley, for review from publisher
Edition: e-ARC (400 pages)
Genre: Thriller, mystery


Lisa McMann's Dead to You meets Kate Ellison's The Butterfly Clues in a psychological thriller full of romance, intrigue, and mystery.
One year ago, Callie was found in an abandoned apartment, scrawling words on the wall: "I KILLED HIM. His blood is on my hands. His heart is in my soul. I KILLED HIM." But she remembers nothing of that night or of the previous thirty-six hours. All she knows is that her father, the reverend at the Church of the Holy Promise, is missing, as is Hannah, a young girl from the parish. Their disappearances have to be connected and Callie knows that her father was not a righteous man.
Since that fateful night, she's been plagued by graphomania-- an unending and debilitating compulsion to write. The words that flow from Callie's mind and through her pen don't seem to make sense-- until now.
As the anniversary of Hannah's vanishing approaches, more words and memories bubble to the surface and a new guy in school might be the key to putting together the puzzle. But digging up the secrets she's buried for so long might be her biggest mistake.

Thank you to EgmontUSA for letting me read an e-arc in exchange for an honest review!

Oblivion was such an interesting read. The reader follows Callie, a girl who's father disappeared the same night as her best friend did. Nobody is sure if they were killed or murdered or what; all they know is that they both disappeared and that Callie was there when it happened. They also know that Callie can't remember at all what happened that night. When Callie was found, they saw that the walls were covered with the words "I KILLED HIM." Everyone is pretty sure that it wasn't Callie that did this and that she is just traumatized by what really happened.

Ever since that night, Callie writes nonstop. Most of the time the things that she writes are part of memories that may trigger something that will help explain what exactly happened that night, but it takes a while to put all of the little pieces together and finally figure out what exactly did happen.

Since Callie has nobody to live with, she lives with foster parents. She's currently living with Lindsay and her family. Lindsay is practically a real sister to Callie. Lindsay has the biggest crush on this guy named John, so she has Callie help write letters to him, which is practically only Callie writing and then Lindsay taking the credit.

Callie's boyfriend, Elijah, isn't really much of a boyfriend in my opinion. Yeah, they do things together, but he isn't always there for her that much. The one who's really there for her is John, even though Lindsay has a thing for him. John is so sweet to Callie, though he finds everything that Callie writes to be really poetic and lyrical, so helps her piece together the things that she writes. He even keeps an extra pen in her favorite color in his pocket at all times for when she needs one, since the urge hits her so suddenly.

I really loved learning about graphomania because I honestly didn't know much about it. It was really interesting to learn about. I also enjoyed how this book wasn't predictable at all; I had no idea what was going to happen or where the clues were going to lead to next. I can't say this often about mystery books, so I absolutely loved that. My favorite character would have to be John, just because of how sweet he was. Though I enjoyed this book, I was a bit bored at times because at some parts I felt like the story wasn't really going anywhere, though I'd definitely recommend this book to people who are looking for a creepy mystery.

Recommended for fans of:
Amity by Micol Ostow
Goosebumps books

Rating:

1 comment:

  1. This book looks interesting to say the least. It close to the top of my TBR pile. However, all of the reviews I've seen on it say what you did about getting bored in some places and I'm in the mood for a really fast paced book. So I probably won't get to this for a while.
    Great review :D

    ReplyDelete

Hello there! (: Thanks so much for taking the time to comment. I read each and every one!