Thursday, May 29, 2014

Book Review: Tumble & Fall by Alexandra Coutts

17332270Title: Tumble & Fall
Author: Alexandra Coutts
Publisher: Farrar, Straus ad Giroux (BYR)
Release Date: September 17, 2013
Source: gifted
Edition: Hardcover (384 pages)
Genre: YA Science Fiction/Contemporary

A novel about the end of days full of surprising beginnings 
The world is living in the shadow of oncoming disaster. An asteroid is set to strike the earth in just one week's time; catastrophe is unavoidable. The question isn't how to save the world-the question is, what to do with the time that's left? Against this stark backdrop, three island teens wrestle with intertwining stories of love, friendship and family-all with the ultimate stakes at hand.

Tumble & Fall was one of the books that I was most looking forward to in 2013, so I was super stoked when I received it as a Christmas present. I started reading it a few months ago, though I just couldn't seem to get into it. This was maybe around Februaryish. I saw it sitting on my bookshelf a few months later and decided that it was about time I finally finished the book since I had been looking forward to it so much.

The one thing that I really enjoyed about this book was the switching point of views. I've always been a fan of multiple point of views because it allows you to see what the world is like through different eyes, so you get all the contrasting thoughts in your head. In Tumble & Fall, the three point of views are Caden, Sienna, and Zan. Each of these characters is just so unlike the other, yet they are all trying to cope with what's to come: the end of the world.

Caden was my favorite character out of all of them. He gets kidnapped by his own father, though he lives with his alcoholic mother. When he gets to their house, he meets Sophie, who is his father's girlfriend. Caden really likes Sophie and he finds it extremely odd that she's with his father, because his father doesn't seem like the type to be with her. Come to find out later on that there is, of course, more to the story than what meets the eye.

Sienna gets taken to the island with her father after she gets out of the medical center for drinking. Her father really wants her to be there and spend tons of family time together before the end of the world, though he is really controlling about this. I mean, Sienna wants to live the last of her days doing things she enjoys as well, and she doesn't want to be forced to spend family time, especially when her dad is going to get married to another women.

Zan's boyfriend Leo died in a car accident a while ago, though she still misses him a lot. When Leo's sister gives Zan a book and she finds something about a girl named Vanessa, she goes on an adventure to find out who this mysterious girl is along with Nick, Leo's best friend.

I really liked how all of the stories were really different yet they intertwined at the same time in ways. I think I was just a bit disappointed because I had been so excited for this book and I was expecting it to be so amazing. I mean, don't get me wrong, I really enjoyed it, but the hype I made up in my head definitely disappointed me a bit.

Rating:

Have you read this novel? I'd love to hear your thoughts!

2 comments:

  1. I haven't really heard much about this book, but I do like the sound of it. I'm not sure if I'm going to try it though.
    Great review.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember the continuous hype for this one right before it came out and then seeing all of these negative reviews for it flood blogger. I might still read this one though, because I've seen a few reviews like this one that said the hype killed the book for the reviewer and if they didn't know about the hype they might have liked it better. So, I might still read this one, I don't know.

    Great review :D

    ReplyDelete

Hello there! (: Thanks so much for taking the time to comment. I read each and every one!