Sunday, May 4, 2014

Book Review: Paper Towns by John Green

6442769Title: Paper Towns
Author: John Green
Publisher: Speak
 Release Date: October 16, 2008
Source: Purchased
Edition: Paperback (305 pages)
Genre: Contemporary
Cover Review: This cover is so simple and I adore it.


Quentin Jacobsen has spent a lifetime loving the magnificently adventurous Margo Roth Spiegelman from afar. So when she cracks over a window and climbs back into his life-dressed like a ninja and summoning him for an ingenious campaign of revenge-he follows.

After their all-nighter ends and a new day breaks, Q arrives at school to discover that Margo, always an enigma, has now become a mystery. But Q soon learns that there are clues-and they're for him. Urged down a disconnected path, the closer he gets, the less Q sees of the girl he thought he knew.

I was super excited to pick up this book and finally read it, as I've heard such great things. Sadly, I didn't completely enjoy this one. I did really like it, it just seemed to go by really slowly for me. I may have to give it a reread in the future.

Paper Towns is about a teenager named Q who lives next door to his childhood best friend Margo Roth Spiegelman. The thing is, once high school started, Margo and Q kind of drifted apart. Q always had the biggest crush on Margo though and he would do absolutely anything for her, so when she shows up at his window really late one night and says that she needs his help, Q is all for it.

That night, Q and Margo do tons of things on this list that Margo has; things that could indeed have them go to jail if they get caught. Q had the best night ever, though the next day, Margo doesn't show up to school. Turns out that Margo is actually missing. Everyone dismisses the fact that she's missing because Margo has a tendency to just run away and leave clues that lead to her whereabouts, so they know that she will always come back anyway. Q feels that something really bad happened to her though, so he follows different clues that he finds, hoping to find Margo in the end.

Paper Towns was such an interesting read. I really loved Q and all of his buddies, and I really enjoyed how he cared so deeply for Margo Roth Spiegelman, who was his best friend when he was younger. Q cared about Margo so much, which I really liked. It was pretty cute. Margo was really hilarious. I like how she was really different than everybody else, though she typically only let Q see this side of her, so others didn't know what she was interested in, including her hobbies. Her best girl friend didn't even know that she liked poetry and different types of music besides what's popular.

I feel like this book was much different than John Green's other books, which is what makes him so great. This book was a pretty light read though, which may be why I was a bit let down... I was expecting something really big to happen. I guess I should stop expecting things to happen before I actually read the book. I know that if I do that it will only lead to disappointment. I'd still recommend this book though. I mean it is John Green and all!

Rating:

Have you read this novel? I'd love to hear your thoughts!

5 comments:

  1. I thought it was interesting as well. It isn't my favorite John Green book, but it was still good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Having read The Fault In Our Stars, I really want to get into another John Green book! My sister has this one (and Looking For Alaska) and I can't wait to borrow and get into it!

    Katrina @ Chased By My Imagination

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've seen this one, but haven't picked it up. I also haven't read anything by Green, but have seen so many amazing things about his writing. I might have to start with this one. Glad you enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We are introduced to our trio of obnoxiously self-absorbed prada replica American college students traveling in Europe, all three of which are somewhat played against type before the end. There the sharp rich girl with chanel outlet a chip on her shoulder Beth (Lauren German). There the louis vuitton outlet faithful wild girl Whitney (Bijou Phillips). And then there the tag-along nerdy misfit Lorna (Heather Matarazzo) that the other two feel sorry for swiss replica watches. While taking an art class in Italy (taught by Eurohorror legend Edwige Fenech), they meet up with model Axelle (Vera Jordanova), who later lures http://www.artabloom.com/err.html them to the spas of Slovakia and a certain youth hostel. On their arrival, Roth shows us his scenario from a couple of different angles, knowing we already seen it from the victim POV. We see the girls stalked, their images displayed online in louis vuitton outlet a private auction to bidders worldwide. The winner in a couple of the auctions are wealthy thrill-seekers Todd and Stuart (Richard Burgi and Roger Bart, both of Desperate Housewives), who immediately make their excuses and jet off to Slovokia to claim replica handbags their first kills. As the girls are maneuvered into position for easy capture, we learn a bit more about what makes them tick, as hermes outlet well as learning a bit more about the auction winners and the deeply evil people running the murder-for-dollars business.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so glad I saw your review on this! After hearing the news that this was going to be optioned for a movie I've been really curious about the book and what people thought about it, but since it was released so long ago, I couldn't find any reviews. So thank you!! I haven't read anything from John Green but I like the sound of this one being light. I definitely think I'll have to pick it up!

    ReplyDelete

Hello there! (: Thanks so much for taking the time to comment. I read each and every one!