Saturday, May 10, 2014

Book Review: A Midsummer's Nightmare by Kody Keplinger

12813860Title: A Midsummer's Nightmare
Author: Kody Keplinger
Publisher: Poppy
 Release Date: June 5, 2012
Source: Gifted
Edition: ARC
Genre: Contemporary

Whitley Johnson's dream summer with her divorce dad has turned into a nightmare. She's just met his new fiancee and her kids. The fiancee's son? Whitley's one-night stand from graduation night. Just freakin' great.
Worse, she totally doesn't fit in with her dad's perfect new country-club family. So Whitley acts out. She parties. Hard. So hard she doesn't even notice the good things right under her nose: a sweet little future stepsister who is just about the only person she's ever liked, a best friend (even though Whitley swears she doesn't "do" friends), and a smoking-hot guy who isn't her stepbrother... at least, not yet. It will take all three of them to help Whitley get through her anger and begin to put the pieces of her family together.
Filled with authenticity and raw emotion, Whitley is Kody Keplinger's most compelling character to date: a cynical Holden Caulfield-esque girl you will wholly care about.

After hearing such wonderful things about all of Kody Keplinger's books, I decided it was about time to finally pick this one up since it had been sitting on my shelf for a while. I was instantly drawn into Whitley's life and everything that she was going through from page one and on.

Whitley spends all of her time partying and drinking, though after graduation, she sleeps with a guy who just so happens to end up being the son of the woman of whom her father is engaged to. This is of course awkward for everyone involved, so she and Nathan (who is the guy she slept with) decide to keep it a secret from their parents.

Whitley looks forward to spending every summer with her father, so I felt really bad for her when the bomb got dropped that she and he wouldn't be the only two spending the summer together. It would also be his new fiancee and her two kids, Bailey and Nathan. She was pretty much resented by her father throughout the whole book, which was really frustrating. Whitley did, however, make a new friend, which was really cool.

Whitley's new friend Harrison is extremely funny. She met him at the local party place where all the teens go and she went up to him because she thought that he was really good looking, so she decided to try and see if he felt the same way about her. Whitley was at once turned down when Harrison explained that he's actually gay, which made her feel stupid, but they instantly became friends. Harrison was just hilarious and I've actually heard that he is in Kody Keplinger's other book, The Duff, so I will probably pick that one up soon because I'd love to have more Harrison!

A Midsummer's Nightmare was quite a spectacular read; I actually read it in three hours. Once I started, I just couldn't stop, which really surprised me because it's a contemporary! Maybe it was the marvelous characters or maybe it was just the awesomeness of Kody Keplinger's humorous writing. I'd definitely suggest picking this one up if you're looking for a quick summer read for the beach!

Rating:
Have you read this novel? I'd love to hear your thoughts!

4 comments:

  1. I've been gravitating to contemporaries lately, so this sounds like something I might like to read, but I did DNF The Duff so I'm a little reluctant to pick up another book by the same author. I like that Harrison is in both books, though. I love it when there are little things like that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've really enjoyed all of Kody Keplinger's contemporaries! I agree that this one was a great read. I liked pretty much all of the characters, too. Great review :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like a good read! I should pick up this book soon. Thanks for sharing your review!

    Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  4. This sounds really fun as a summer read!

    Joy's Book Blog

    ReplyDelete

Hello there! (: Thanks so much for taking the time to comment. I read each and every one!