Thursday, May 22, 2014

Book Re-Review: The Fault in Our Stars by John Green

11870085Title: The Fault in Our Stars
Author: John Green
Publisher: Dutton Books
 Release Date: January 10, 2012
Source: Purchased
Edition: Hardcover (318 pages)
Genre: Contemporary
Cover Review: I love the colors of this cover... beautiful.


Despite the tumor-shrinking medical miracle that has bought her a few years, Hazel has never been anything but terminal, her final chapter inscribed upon diagnosis. But when a gorgeous plot twist named August Waters suddenly appears at Cancer Kid Support Group, Hazel's story is about to be completely rewritten.

 I read this book two years ago when it first came out, and since I am super pumped for the movie, I decided it was time to reread it in preparation. I'm so glad that I did because the second time around was just a whole lot better!

The Fault in Our Stars follows Hazel Grace Lancaster, a 16-year-old cancer patient who believes that she is just a side effect of life. When Hazel Grace goes to a Cancer Kid Support Group that her mother makes her go to every week, she meets Augustus Waters, a boy who she believes would've never payed any attention to a girl such as herself, yet Gus does.

The relationship that Augustus and Hazel Grace have is just so sweet and amazing. They're really good together and they both have an excellent sense of humor that I never got bored of. I really loved their friend Isaac, who was also a member of the Cancer Kid Support Group. He was just so funny, and the egg-throwing scene was my favorite scene from the entire book, hands down.

I loved all the little things that Gus did for Hazel Grace; it was just so cute. He cares about Hazel Grace so deeply. I also really loved how the both of them just lived in the moment, not letting a second pass by where they aren't doing something that they enjoy. I definitely learned quite a few life lessons from Hazel Grace and Gus.

I absolutely love John Green's writing style, and I know that I'll definitely need to read the rest of his books now. I've also read Paper Towns and Looking for Alaska, with Looking for Alaska being my favorite John Green book thus far. John Green has this way of writing that just immerses the reader into the character's world so vividly, and he has this way of grasping onto the reader's heart and making them feel so deeply for each and every one of the characters. I definitely can't wait for this movie to come out!

Recommended for fans of:
Me and Earl and the Dying Girl by Jesse Andrews
Paper Towns by John Green

Notable Quotes:

"I fell in love the way you fall asleep: slowly, and then all at once."

"My thoughts are stars that I cannot fathom into constellations."

"Sometimes, you read a book and it fills you with this weird evangelical zeal, and you become convinced that the shattered world will never be put back together unless and until all the living humans read the book."

"I'm in love with you, and I'm not in the business of denying myself the simple please of saying true things. I'm in love with you, and I know that love is just a shout into the void, and that oblivion is inevitable, and that we're all doomed and that there will come a day when all our labor has been returned to dust, and I know the sun will swallow the only earth we'll ever have, and I am in love with you."

"You don't get to choose if you get hurt in this world... but you do have some say in who hurts you. I like my choices."

"Some infinities are bigger than other infinities."

"I'm on a roller coaster that only goes up, my friend."

"The marks humans leave are too often scars."

"The world is not a wish-granting factory."

"Some people don't understand the promises they're making when they make them."

Rating:





1 comment:

  1. A re-read of this one before the movie is a great idea! Fantastic review :)

    Katrina @ Chased By My Imagination

    ReplyDelete

Hello there! (: Thanks so much for taking the time to comment. I read each and every one!