Monday, April 21, 2014

Book Review: Why We Broke Up by Daniel Handler

Title: Why We Broke Up
Author: Daniel Handler
Publisher: Little, Brown Books for Young Readers
Release Date: December 27, 2011
Source: Purchased
Edition: Paperback (354 pages)
Genre: YA Contemporary
Cover Review: I adore this cover, especially because there aren't many plain covers.
15754528


I'm telling you why we broke up, Ed. I'm writing it in this letter, the whole truth of why it happened. 
Min Green and Ed Slaterton are breaking up, so Min is writing Ed a letter and giving him a box. Inside the box is why they broke up. Two bottle caps, a movie ticket, a folded note, a box of matches, a protractor, books, a toy truck, a pair of ugly earrings, a comb from a motel room, and every other item collected over the course of a giddy, intimate, heartbreaking relationship. Item after item is illustrated and accounted for, and then the box, like a girlfriend, will be dumped.

First things first: I've never read a book like this. It was so unique and mesmerizing-just the whole concept in general. Each chapter is a story based on one of Min's memories of her and Ed Slaterton, with a picture of an object to help remember the memory. Min put all of these objects into a big box along with a story about why they broke up. I find the fact that she felt the need to put all of this together extremely sweet.

The other cool thing about this book is the fact that the author is Lemony Snicket! I used to love reading the Series of Unfortunate Events as a kid, so it was cool to read something much different than that written by the same author.

I really loved Min and Ed's relationship. They were so different from each other, yet they worked so well. They accepted and loved their differences, which was extremely cute. I loved how reassuring Ed was about why Min was different, though sometimes Min took that the wrong way. I also loved how obsessed with movies Min was; I definitely learned a lot about movies that I didn't know.

I just hope that Ed appreciates the fact that Min took all this time and went through all the effort to really think about the relationship and realize why it didn't work out. If a guy  went through all the effort to do something like this for me, I'd definitely want to take them back.

In all, this book was really sweet and I really enjoyed it. If you're looking for a cute contemporary read, definitely pick this one up. It's really different and just so amazing!

Rating:
Recommended for fans of:
The Fault in Our Stars by John Green
Looking for Alaska by John Green
Paper Towns by John Green
Pretty much any John Green book!

Have you read this novel? I'd love to hear your thoughts!

1 comment:

  1. Hello, I've read some John Green books and I'm looking forward to reading Why We Broke Up, it sounds very good :)

    ReplyDelete

Hello there! (: Thanks so much for taking the time to comment. I read each and every one!