Monday, March 17, 2014

Book Review: Insurgent by Veronica Roth

Title: Insurgent
Author: Veronica Roth
Publisher: HarperTeen
Release Date: May 1, 2012
Source: Purchased
Edition: Hardcover (525 pages)
Genre: YA Dystopian
Cover Review: Again, it's another symbolic cover. I really love how this series has symbolic covers.
Tag Line: Once choice can destroy you
Series: Divergent #2
Main Character: Beatrice Prior

One choice can transform you--or it can destroy you. But every choice has consequences, and as unrest surges in the factions all around her, Tris Prior must continue trying to save those she loves--and herself--while grappling with haunting questions of grief and forgiveness, identity and loyalty, politics and love.

Tris's initiation day should have been marked by celebration and victory with her chosen faction; instead, the day ended with unspeakable horrors. War now looms as conflict between the factions and their ideologies grows. And in times of war, sides must be chosen, secrets will emerge, and choices will become even more irrevocable--and even more powerful. Transformed by her own decisions but also by haunting grief and guilt, radical new discoveries, and shifting relationships, Tris must fully embrace her Divergence, even if she does not know what she may lose by doing so.
 Insurgent by Veronica Roth was even better than Divergent. The first time I read Divergent, I thought that it was just an okay book. I then read it again and absolutely loved it. I had heard a lot of mixed reviews about Insurgent, which is why, though I purchased it the day after it came out, it took me a year and a half to finally get the guts to read it. And boy am I glad that I did.

Insurgent was super action packed and full of things that I did not see coming. It was absolutely excellent. I had heard really mixed things about this book compared to Divergent, and to be honest I actually liked this one better. Much more happened in this one over the first. I don't know, I think I'm just a massive fan of second books in trilogies. Call me weird.

I didn't see half of the stuff coming that actually happened, and that's what made me love this book to death. Everything is put to a whole new level, and it was interesting to see how all of the characters behaved in each of the situations. Four is still just as awesome as he was in the first book, as was Tris, though they have both developed a lot since the first book. Tris is definitely much stronger than she was, even though she was really strong in the first book already. Tris's and Four's relationship grew as well, and I loved every minute of it. I just know that I can't wait to read Allegiant. 

Rating:

 Have you read this novel? I'd love to hear your thoughts!

1 comment:

  1. I really loved Tris and Four's relationship as well! I did like them quite a bit already in the first book, but because Tris was struggling with PTSD in Insurgent, I fell in love more with them because of how Four reacted to it all. He is such a dreamy being all attentive and caring when it comes to Tris. The whole relationship just felt more realistic this time around. :)

    ReplyDelete

Hello there! (: Thanks so much for taking the time to comment. I read each and every one!