Friday, March 14, 2014

Book Review: Eleanor & Park by Rainbow Rowell


Title: Eleanor & Park
15745753Author: Rainbow Rowell
Publisher: St. Martin's Press
Release Date: February 26, 2013
Source: Purchased
Edition: Hardcover (328 pages)
Genre: Contemporary
Cover Review: This cover is so simple, which makes me love it even more.
Set over the course of one school year in 1986, ELEANOR AND PARK is the story of two star-crossed misfits-smart enough to know that first love almost never lasts, but brave and desperate enough to try. When Eleanor meets Park, you'll remember your own first love-and just how hard it pulled you under.

I picked this book up on a whim, just because I had heard such great things about it. I've seen it all over the book world, including YouTube. Once I finally picked it up, I just couldn't put it down. I've been in a reading funk for the past few months, and this definitely helped.

Eleanor has a hard life, yet she still lives through everyday. She dresses really wildly and people judge her hardcore for that, even Park when he first meets her that day on the bus. Eleanor is different but she owns it in a way that not many people can. 

And then there's Park. Park, the kid with dark hair that let Eleanor sit with him. Park, the guy who always turns the comic book pages slow so that Eleanor can read them too. Park, the guy that really loves Eleanor. 

Park was just the greatest guy ever. He's really quirky and he's also really different, which makes him and Eleanor such a great couple. Park doesn't know much about Eleanor's life, which is why they always hang out at Park's house everyday after school and Park's mom makes them dinner. 

This book was really uplifting. It definitely had its downs like most relationships do, but it was just so captivating. I instantly fell in love with both characters and I loved reading from their differing point of views. I really enjoyed getting inside both of their heads and seeing what each character thought of the other as well. I love everything about the 80's, so that made this book even better for me. The only person I can truly say I hated in this book is Eleanor's dad, though I was supposed to hate him. I'm definitely going to reread this book soon; it earned a spot on my favorites shelf. 

Rating:


Have you read this book? I'd love to hear your thoughts!

2 comments:

  1. I plan on reading this one at some point, I think every review I've seen has been very positive. I like the references to the 80's and comics that I've heard about too- sounds like a lot of fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This book made me cry so hard. But I still loved it to shreds. (the love/hate relationship between books and us readers...Even the references which I didn't get/understand were utterly fantastic.
    If you'd like another Rainbow Rowell book to try out I highly suggest Fangirl. It's not nearly as... sad, but just as good if not better.

    ReplyDelete

Hello there! (: Thanks so much for taking the time to comment. I read each and every one!