Friday, March 21, 2014

Book Review: 172 Hours on the Moon by Johan Harstad

Title: 172 Hours on the Moon
Author: Johan Harstad
Publisher: Little, Brown Books for Young Readers
Release Date: April 17, 2012
Source: Purchased
Edition: Paperback (384 pages)
Genre: Science Fiction/Dystopian
Cover Review: This cover portrays the book greatly. It's creepy!
Tagline: It's the oppurtunity of a lifetime... if they make it back alive.
Series: N/A
Main Characters: Mia, Antoine, and Midori


It's been decades since anyone set foot on the moon. Now three ordinary teenagers, the winners of NASA's unprecedented, worldwide lottery, are about to become the first young people in space--and change their lives forever. Mia, from Norway, hopes this will be her punk band's ticket to fame and fortune. Midori believes it's her way out of her restrained life in Japan. Antoine, from France, just wants to get as far away from his ex-girlfriend as possible.It's the opportunity of a lifetime, but little do the teenagers know that something sinister is waiting for them on the desolate surface of the moon. And in the black vacuum of space... no one is coming to save them.In this chilling adventure set in the most brutal landscape known to man, highly acclaimed Norwegian novelist Johan Harstad creates a vivid and frightening world of possibilities we can only hope never come true.

First of all, this is the best book I've read in quite a few months. Every single thing that happened had me on edge and I was eagerly flipping each page so I could find out what happened next. I was so creeped out, and it probably didn't help that I was reading at night, either. But I mean, hey, it definitely added to the spooky experience!

The characters in this book were all very different, which I really loved. It was cool to see them all interact with each other on this once in a lifetime experience, especially since none of them really knew what to expect. The world that Harstad created was really interesting, and I love how he definitely kept me guessing.

I really don't want to say too much about this book because I don't want to spoil something by accident, but I will say this: READ THIS BOOK. YOU WON'T REGRET IT. Unless you want to go to the moon... because then you might. Because this is one. creepy. book.

Rating:

3 comments:

  1. I completely agree! I read it once and was like HOLY MONKEYS. Nightmares for a few days, lol. Of course, it was a few months before I started book blogging.

    ~Sophia @ Bookwyrming Thoughts

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds INCREDIBLE! I love super creepy YA, so few books really do it right, but this sounds like it got the creep factor spot on. It's so hard to review books with so many twists, just incase you spoil the plot, but phenomenal job. I'm definitely adding this one and going to track down a copy on Amazon as soon as possible. Fantastic review!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds truly awesome! Thanks so much for sharing, I love a good dystopia, and having it happen on the moon is particularly intriguing!

    Thanks for the great review :)

    Lexxie @ (un)Conventional Bookviews

    ReplyDelete

Hello there! (: Thanks so much for taking the time to comment. I read each and every one!