Sunday, December 29, 2013

Book Review: Sick by Tom Leveen

SickTitle: Sick
Author: Tom Leveen
Publisher: Abrams
Release Date: October 1, 2013
Source: From Publisher for Review
Edition: ARC
Genre: Zombies, Apocalypse
Cover Review: I love this cover! The zombies are so cool.
Tagline: High school is full of monsters.
Series: N/A
Main Character: Brian


Breakfast Club meets The Walking Dead as a group of unlikely allies tries to survive a deadly outbreak.
Brian and his friends are not part of the cool crowd. They’re the misfits and the troublemakers—the ones who jump their high school’s fence to skip class regularly. So when a deadly virus breaks out, they’re the only ones with a chance of surviving.
The virus turns Brian’s classmates and teachers into bloodthirsty attackers who don’t die easily. The whole school goes on lockdown, but Brian and his best friend, Chad, are safe (and stuck) in the theater department—far from Brian’s sister, Kenzie, and his ex-girlfriend with a panic attack problem, Laura. Brian and Chad, along with some of the theater kids Brian had never given the time of day before, decide to find the girls and bring them to the safety of the theater. But it won’t be easy, and it will test everything they thought they knew about themselves and their classmates.
Brian is just your average high school student. He still loves his ex-girlfriend. He skips classes. He loves his sister. The only difference: a zombie plague is about to attack the country, and he doesn't know it. Welcome to Brian's life!

As soon as I saw that this book was a cross between the Breakfast Club and the Walking Dead, I knew that I just had to read it because it seemed like such a good mix. Boy am I glad that I did! Right from the beginning, I loved the wide range of characters. We have Brian, our hero, Chad, our best friend, Kenzie, the little sister, and Laura, the ex-girlfriend who Brian still loves. I'm not a fan of books with only one or two main characters, so the fact that there wasn't one but four definitely made me happy.

One of the most creative aspects of this book was the fact that their weren't any real adults left after the zombie plague. All the adults at the school were either eaten or became zombies, so it was all just kids fending for themselves. Brian's mother wasn't even in town, she was out of town doing research on the zombie plague just as it began. We only hear from her a bit throughout the book through cell phone calls and she definitely keeps the reader up to date on the status of the rest of the world. It was nice to hear from an outside source such as herself.

I haven't read many zombie books, so of course I loved this book. It was unique and original and just so dang amazing. I read it really quickly because I just couldn't get enough. I just wanted to know what happened and I also wanted to know more about all of the characters. This book would make a pretty cool movie too, especially with all of the zombie and apocalypse movies coming out lately. This is the first book by Tom Leveen that I have ever read, so I may have to check out his other books after reading this one. I definitely suggest this book for those of you who are looking for a fun zombie read!

Rating:
Recommended for fans of:
This is Not a Test by Courtney Summers
The Breakfast Club
Walking Dead
Gone by Michael Grant

Have you read this novel? I'd love to hear your thoughts!

Thank you Abrams for allowing me to read this book in exchange for an honest review!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello there! (: Thanks so much for taking the time to comment. I read each and every one!