Monday, December 30, 2013

Book Review: The Naturals by Jennifer Lynn Barnes

13597723Title: The Naturals
Author: Jennifer Lynn Barnes
Publisher: Disney Hyperion
Release Date: November 5, 2013
Source: For Review from Publisher
Edition: ARC
Genre: YA Mystery
Cover Review: I really like this cover, especially the tape!
Tagline: N/A
Series: N/A
Main Character: Cassie

Seventeen-year-old Cassie is a natural at reading people. Piecing together the tiniest details, she can tell you who you are and what you want. But it's not a skill that she's ever taken seriously. That is, until the FBI come knocking: they've begun a classified program that uses exceptional teenagers to crack infmaous cold cases, and they need Cassie.

What Cassie doesn't realize is that there's more at risk than a few unsolved homicides-especially when she's sent to live with a group of teens whose gifts are as unusual as her own.

Sarcastic, privileged Michael has a knack for reading emotions, which he uses to get inside Cassie's head-and under her skin. Brooding Dean shares Cassie's gift for profiling, but keeps her at arm's length.

Soon, it becomes clear that no one in the Naturals program is what they seem. And when a new killer strikes, danger looms closer than Cassie could ever have imagined. Caught in a lethal game of cat and mouse with a killer, the Naturals are going to have to use all of their gifts just to survive.
Cassie is a teenager who lives with her grandmother, while working at a food shop. One day while working, she sees this guy who she finds quite attractive. He asks Cassie if she knows what he's about to order, and she knows what he wants... exactly what he wants. Cassie tells him, and the guy appeared to have known that she would know. You see, Cassie always has had this power where she can always guess exactly what each person would do or say: she's a profiler. It's a natural gift of hers. So when she's asked to go to work with the FBI with other teenagers like herself, of course she jumps on the chance. While working with the FBI, there's a string of murders going on and Cassie may just be able to figure out who the killer is.

I loved The Naturals! I haven't really read a book with a murderer in it, so I was instantly drawn into the world. It was just really intriguing. I also loved all of the characters in this book. Let's start off with Dean, the other profiler. Dean is really mysterious, as he has some secrets of his own. I instantly fell in love with him when I met him, but I was really torn between him and Michael. Michael is really sarcastic and funny, as he never failed to make me laugh. Michael happened to be the guy that Cassie had met at her job, which is how she got into working with the FBI. He's also an emotion reader. He knows exactly how a person is feeling, which I guess could really come in handy.

I think the whole idea of people having powers like this is really intriguing. Just imagine if you could look at a person and automatically be able to guess every single little thing about them-it would be absolutely mind blowing! I absolutely love mysteries and this book was absolutely up to par mystery-wise. The string of murders can easily be traced back to one person, though I absolutely didn't see it coming! There are twists up the wazoo! This is actually the first book by Jennifer Lynn Barnes that I've read, and now I know that I need to read more by her. This book was just so amazing. I think if you're looking for a mystery book with fun characters, this is definitely the book for you.

Rating:

Recommended for fans of:
Mysteries
The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer by Michelle Hodkin

Have you read this novel? I'd love to hear your thoughts!
Thank you to Disney Hyperion for sending me a copy of this book in return for an honest review! :)

3 comments:

  1. Sounds awesome!! I love those kinds of books where you absolutely don't see the ending coming!And I even own The Naturals! Thanks for that review - I'll totally put the book higher on my to-read list now ;D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad you liked this book. And that you recommended it for those who liked Mara Dyer, because I did :3 I have been unsure of whether or not I wanted to read this book. It intrigued me, but I haven't heard too many good things about it... I'm excited though! :D

    Cucie @ Cucie reads

    ReplyDelete

Hello there! (: Thanks so much for taking the time to comment. I read each and every one!