Sunday, August 4, 2013

Book Review: The Uprising by Lisa M. Stasse

NOTE: This book is a sequel to The Forsaken by Lisa M. Stasse. The review for book one can be found here.

Title: The Uprising
Author: Lisa M. Stasse
Publisher: Simon and Schuster Books for Young Readers
Release Date: August 6, 2013
Source: Publisher for Review
Edition: ARC
Genre: Dystopian
Cover Review: The covers in this series are absolutely insane. They're so cool to look at!
Tagline: Choose a tribe. Watch your back. And don't stop running.
Series: The Forsaken #2
Main Character: Alenna

In this dystopian sequel to The Forsaken, Alenna has survived the brutality of life on the wheel—and now she’s going back for more.

Alenna escaped. It was expected that she would die on the wheel, the island where would-be criminals are sent as directed by the UNA—the totalitarian supercountry that was once the United States, Mexico, and Canada. But Alenna and her boyfriend, Liam, made it to safety. Except safety, they will soon learn, is relative.
In order to bring down the UNA, they must first gain control of the wheel. If the mission succeeds, the wheel will become a base of revolution. But between betrayals, a new Monk leading a more organized army of Drones, and the discovery of a previously unknown contingent, Alenna, Liam, and their allies might be in over their heads. One thing Alenna knows for sure: There will be a reckoning. And not everyone she loves will make it out alive.

Thank you to Simon and Schuster for a review copy in exchange for an honest review.

Since I had read The Forsaken over a year ago, I was worried that I hadn't remembered enough to continue along Alenna and Liam's journey. I was wrong. Right on page 1, Lisa M. Stasse brilliantly wove in some facts from book one which immediately immersed me straight back into the world of The Forsaken. I absolutely love when authors do that.

The Uprising picks up right where The Forsaken left off. Alenna and Liam are in Destiny Station, which is a station that works against the UNA in Australia. They're finally safe, if only for a little while. Not only were villagers safe in Destiny Station, many drones are as well. Even though the drones are off the UNA's drugs, the villagers and drones still separate themselves from each other, because the past has left some pretty deep scars.

Right in the beginning, we Alenna and Liam are attacked by a feeler, which Destiny Station didn't even see coming. They end up being fine, until Destiny Station is completely attacked later on. This leads Liam, Alenna, Cass, Alun, Emma, and some others to another destination: Southern Arc. This is just about the strongest station against the UNA that there is. It's in Antarctica and even the UNA hasn't been able to infiltrate it, which really says something.

After finding that his father is still alive, Liam believes that he should go with the rescue team to help save him because his boat is stranded. Liam doesn't want to go alone, but Alenna insists. Of course, while Liam is away, the time comes to go back to the wheel, even though Alenna still doesn't know where her mother is.

While in the Southern Arc, Alenna ends up finding out that someone is still alive. I was so surprised when this happened, as was Alenna. My mouth literally dropped. Of course, this person also helps the Southern Arc planes land once they return to the wheel. The thing is, once the planes land, everyone finds that they have been surrounded. Everyone is completely devastated. How can they know who to trust anymore?

Alenna is really starting to become a stronger character. From the scared girl who ended up on the wheel in book one to the fierce girl in book two, I can't wait to see who Alenna will become in book three. I absolutely love character development, so Alenna is definitely one of my favorite young adult characters. I was also quite impressed with how strong of a fighter Alenna is. She definitely has leadership qualities and skills.

Liam was so nice in this book, though everyone is still scared of him because of how strong of a fighter he is, though he's not really a mean guy. He's actually pretty nice, especially around Alenna. Liam also has great senses, because he can seem to sense when someone shouldn't be trusted. Cass is a really great character as well. It's interesting to hear her story because she was a drone and now she's not. It seems as if you lose all humanity when you become a drone, and Cass really doesn't want to go through that again. Emma is such a smart girl, so she was definitely a great addition to the group. I really loved her as well as her strong friendship with Cass. Alun, though he was injured, was also a great addition.

I thought The Uprising was even better than The Forsaken. So many more secrets are revealed and new characters are introduced. I also began to question who I should trust, even though I was just a reader. I thought it was great that we're also learning more about some of the character's pasts. I'm also starting to believe that once someone dies they're not really dead, especially in the world that Alenna lives in. I'm always questioning motives as well. As many know, I'm a huge fan of adventurous novels, so mix that with dystopian, and you've got me hooked. That's exactly what this book was. I definitely can't wait to read the next book, because this one had SUCH a good ending. I JUST WANT TO READ MORE, AS SOON AS POSSIBLE! If you haven't started the series, I definitely suggest starting it. You'll fall in love with the world and the characters as soon as you start reading page one.

Recommended for fans of:
Libba Bray
Suzanne Collins
James Dashner

Rating:

4 comments:

  1. I love the covers, too, so amazing. I could stare at them forever. I have read Forsaken yet so I skimmed the review but this definitely makes me want to start the series ASAP! Sounds like there was a lot of great character development in this one.

    Alise @ Readers in Wonderland

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally can't wait for this book! Sounds awesome, great review

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't wait to read this book!! I'm so glad you liked this one as much as you liked the first, nothing is more sad when the second book doesn't deliver.
    Great review :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. If your looking for a good book this is the one so stop looking. With so many twists, your sure of one thing then all of a sudden something else happens!

    Mariz
    Visit Site

    ReplyDelete

Hello there! (: Thanks so much for taking the time to comment. I read each and every one!