Monday, August 26, 2013

Book Review: Relativity by Cristin Bishara

Title: Relativity
Author: Cristin Bishara
Publisher: Walker Childrens
Release Date: September 10, 2013
Source: From Publisher for Review
Edition: ARC
Genre: Parallel Universes
Cover Review: This cover is overly awesome. It's all my favorite colors!
Tagline: What would you give up for the perfect life?
Series: N/A
Main Character: Ruby Wright


If Ruby Wright could have her way, her dad would never have met and married her stepmother Willow, her best friend George would be more than a friend, and her mom would still be alive. Ruby knows wishes can't come true; some things just can't be undone. Then she discovers a tree in the middle of an Ohio cornfield with a wormhole to nine alternative realities.

Suddenly, Ruby can access completely different realities, each containing variations of her life—if things had gone differently at key moments. The windshield wiper missing her mother’s throat…her big brother surviving his ill-fated birth…her father never having met Willow. Her ideal world—one with everything and everyone she wants most—could be within reach. But is there such a thing as a perfect world? What is Ruby willing to give up to find out?

**Thanks so much to Bloomsbury for the review copy in exchange for an honest review!**

Ruby has been uprooted from California so she can move to Ohio with her father just so he can be with his new wife, Willow. Ruby even had to leave her friend George, though she was hoping that at one point they'd be able to get together. Plus, Willow's daughter is really rude and seems to have it out for Ruby. It's kind of creepy. 

One day, while running away from Willow's daughter, Ruby finds a wormhole in an old tree that supposedly could never be cut down before. It's actually been said that people had died trying to cut down the huge tree, which is quite surprising.  Of course, she decides to get inside the tree and try it out, because who knows how often this type of thing will happen in life? In the wormhole, she finds many other universes though none of them ever seem to be just perfect. She'd love to find a life where her mom is still alive and the family is still living in California with George. Will she be able to find a life this perfect?

Relativity was a really different parallel universe book because it mentioned wormholes, which was very interesting. I absolutely loved the concept of a tree being a kind of portal to other universes as well. It's just so cool to think about! I really loved how every time Ruby went to a different universe, she never thought it was perfect enough. This brings across the life lesson that life isn't always perfect. I really enjoy it when books actually teach you not only one thing, but two things. Another theme brought to light through this book is to appreciate what you have.

The entire story that came along with the magical tree was really cool. I loved how there were stories of people dying trying to hack the tree down. I also love how Willow had been painting the tree for quite a while because she had been really fascinated by it as well. It was just so mesmerizing.

I really loved the characters in this book, since for some reason characters always either make or break the story for me. Ruby was a really impressive main character. I liked how she was a bit geeky; I really appreciated that about her. She's also really smart and she doesn't seem to really care what others think about. I also found it so cute that she had a crush on George. George is Ruby's friend and she was devastated when she had to leave him in California, though she always hoped that they'd later become more. It's really interesting to think that maybe they will become something more in a different parallel universe. Like Ruby, George was a little geeky though he was really sweet at the same time.

Kandy, Willow's daughter, is so annoying. She always attacks Ruby for an unknown reason. It's as if the world revolves around Kandy, which clearly it doesn't. I found it odd that Willow didn't know how mean Kandy had been to Ruby because for some reason Willow and Ruby's dad always heard Kandy's story first, so Ruby ended up looking like a liar.

I have the biggest fascination with parallel universe books, so I'd definitely recommend this book to anybody.  I find it so interesting that another version of us could actually be in a different universe living a different story. It's just so weird to think about, which is why it's so interesting. The story line was one that I've never heard before so I was intrigued from the first page. I fell in love with the characters so much as well. If you're looking for a quick, fun parallel universe book, I definitely suggest picking this one up!

Recommended for fans of:
Parallel by Lauren Miller
Parallel Universes

Rating:

4 comments:

  1. Christian Grey
    I loved book so much eagerly waiting for the Movie....Fifty shades of grey..

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a neat concept. I would read the book just for the cover. :) I'll be checking it out...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love books about parallel worlds too, so I will definitely be reading this. So glad you enjoyed it because it sounds so good. Sort of reminds me of this old show called Sliders. Great review! ~Pam

    ReplyDelete
  4. This book is next up on my reading list, and your review has made me anticipate it more!

    ReplyDelete

Hello there! (: Thanks so much for taking the time to comment. I read each and every one!