Thursday, August 22, 2013

Book Review: Ravenous by Heidi Loney

Title: Ravenous
Author: Heidi Loney
Publisher: CreateSpace
Release Date: July 1, 2013
Source: From Author for Review
Edition: Paperback (215 pages)
Genre: Dystopian
Cover Review: This cover is super interesting! I really like the background.
Tagline: N/A
Series: N/A
Main Character: Calla Ryan


Overpopulation throttles the world’s food supply. In 2050, the government of the Americas introduces the Food Crisis Act—new measures that create a system for growing and rationing food.
Calla Ryan is pretty much your average teen, except for enduring hunger every day of her life. One morning, new sensors at her high school determine that she exceeds the weight limit of the State, and they send her north to a “fat camp” or re-education centre.
Calla begins to realize the centre holds many secrets. Her counsellor dies mysteriously, and new shipments of recruits are the picture of health. Finally, Calla becomes a guinea pig for a dangerous lab experiment.
On the outside, a virus that began overseas has now made its way to the Americas with deadly consequences.
Calla must run from her captors, escaping to the far north with help from the facility’s chef and fellow inmates Billy and Madge. And to complicate things, the infected are very hungry.
**Thanks so much to Heidi Loney for sending me a review copy in exchange for an honest review!**

Calla lives in a world where overpopulation has made the food scarce. One day, when she's getting ready to go to school, her mom tells her that she's to come straight home if something seems off at the doorways of the school, such as sensors being placed in the entrance. So when she goes to school, she sees the sensors and tries to escape. Only she ends up being pushed through the doorway anyway because of all the people. As soon as she passes through, she's stopped and is sent to a fat camp where she is to become healthy again, because supposedly she isn't anyway. 

At this fat camp, Calla finds that pretty much nobody is actually fat. She thinks that everyone is really pretty fit, so she's a bit confused. Once people end up dying and going missing, Calla decides that maybe she should do something about it and get to the bottom of this mystery.

Ravenous was quite a great dystopian. I was really intrigued by the awesome mystery that pursued throughout the novel. I was constantly wondering about the deaths and everything else going on. I especially loved the characters presented in this novel. Calla was a really great main character. I found it interesting that she was sent to a fat camp and yet she didn't even really mind. I also think that Calla was a really strong character: there were quite a few instances where she would've sacrificed herself just to save her friends. I really respect that about her. They were all instantly friends and they really loved each other.

Another thing I really loved about Ravenous was the zombies. I hadn't even expected there to be any zombies, so I was super excited when a zombie appeared because the zombie virus had hit. I'm a huge zombie fan yet I haven't read many zombie books, so of course that's an aspect that I loved. The zombie scenes were pretty epic. I definitely think that this whole idea was really unique and with that ending, I'm quite excited to read the next book. Ravenous was a really short read, so I'd definitely recommend it if you're looking for a quick fix of a unique dystopian!

Recommended to fans of:
Zombies
Dystopians

Rating:

2 comments:

  1. ZOMBIES! I definitely wasn't expecting those from the synopsis, but it's pretty dang cool that they're a part of this book. I like the idea behind this story, it seems so unique! The MC also sounds fantastic, and I love how she would have willingly sacrificed herself for her friends at multiple points. It's also cool that she didn't really mind that she went to a fat camp.

    Lovely review, Krystianna! <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds really unique! I hadn't heard of it before, so thanks for sharing. I love the whole weight control aspect. I've never seen that in a dystopian before. And who doesn't love a good zombie book?!

    ReplyDelete

Hello there! (: Thanks so much for taking the time to comment. I read each and every one!