Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Book Review: Hallowed by Cynthia Hand

Title: Hallowed
Author: Cynthia Hand 
Publisher: HarperTeen
Release Date: January 17, 2012
Genre: Fantasy/Angels/Paranormal Romance
Cover Review: This cover is beautiful. I love the covers in this series!
Tagline: N/A
Series: Unearthly #2
Main Character: Clara Gardner

For months Clara Gardner trained to face the fire from her visions, but she wasn't prepared for the choice she had to make that day. And in the aftermath, she discovered that nothing about being part angel is as straightforward as she thought.
Now, torn between her love for Tucker and her complicated feelings about the roles she and Christian seem destined to play in a world that is both dangerous and beautiful, Clara struggles with a shocking revelation: Someone she loves will die in a matter of months. With her future uncertain, the only thing Clara knows for sure is that the fire was just the beginning.
In this compelling sequel to Unearthly, Cynthia Hand captures the joy of first love, the anguish of loss, and the confusion of becoming who you are.

Hallowed picks up right where Unearthly left off. Clara didn't complete her purpose, and she ends up finding that there's more to her purpose than she thought. Clara actually begins having visions at a cemetery and Christian is comforting her, though Tucker isn't there. She automatically jumps to conclusions: Tucker is going to die. Through the rest of Hallowed, we find out more about angels, her mother's history, and an angel's purpose.

Clara has definitely grown as a character. She's more sure of herself than she was in the first book. I really loved learning out more about her and her mother. It was really interesting and I loved it. Tucker was just as awesome as he was in the first book, though since they're together, he wasn't always cracking jokes. That's why I actually am currently loving Christian. Since we now know that he's an angel as well, he's even more lovable. Christian really has a soft spot for Clara and I just love it. I have a feeling that they're definitely going to get together, that's for sure. Angela is still obsessed with everything angel. She actually started an angel club that consisted of Christian, Clara, Jeffrey, and herself. Jeffrey definitely has something up. He's kind of lurking around and such, and I'm a bit worried for him. Wendy wasn't in Hallowed as much as she was in Unearthly, but every time that she mad an appearance I loved her. She seems like such a good friend!

Hallowed was an even better book than Unearthly. More is revealed and we ultimately learn more about everything angel. Plus, Samjeeza, the Black Wing, is still involved in the story! For some reason, I like Samjeeza. He doesn't seem like that bad of a guy to me. Maybe because he seems as if he's been tormented? I don't know. I'm not really sure. I really loved learning more about Clara's mom as well. Her mom is super cool! I also loved learning more about an angel's aging, most definitely. I can't wait for Boundless!

I read this as part of the Hallowed Radical Read-Along. 

Recommended for fans of:
Hush, Hush by Becca Fitzpatrick
Angels

Rating:

 Have you read this novel? I'd love to hear your thoughts!

6 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you liked Hallowed! I thought it was better than Unearthly as well and I loved how things developed. I hope you're able to get to Boundless soon because I'm very curious to see what you think about it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I liked Samjeeza as well and loved this book in general. I think it definitely was better than all of the other books combined. Even though I honestly was rooting for the other couple, I was still satisfied with the ending! :)

    Liza @ Book Crook Liza

    ReplyDelete
  4. It seems like a lot of people switched to Team Christian in this book. I definitely did not. I was Team Tucker all the way and I stayed that way to the very end. Just finished this series a couple weeks ago. it's one of my favourites. I am SO glad you liked this one. I hope you get to Boundless sooooon!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have GOT to get on with these series! I have read only Unearthly and looooved the hell out of it!
    I'm sorry but I didn't read your whole review, because I intend on reading it...just snippets of this or that....

    Thanks for stopping by on my blog!

    P.S. love your rating system :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cynthia Hand continues to outdo herself with this sequel to Unearthly. There were twists and turns that I never saw coming, and I found myself completely immersed in the story. It's a book that's hard to put down. I highly recommend this book and this series in general to all the book lovers out there!
    Divorce Lawyer Seattle Engle Law Group

    ReplyDelete

Hello there! (: Thanks so much for taking the time to comment. I read each and every one!