Friday, August 9, 2013

Book Review: Gated by Amy Christine Parker

Title: Gated
Author: Amy Christine Parker
Publisher: Random House Children's
Release Date: August 7, 2013
Source: From Publisher for Review
Edition: ARC
Genre: Dystopian
Cover Review: This cover is really amazing. I love how the girl's eye is really blue and the tagline is hidden perfectly.
Tagline: She thought the evil lived outside the walls. She was wrong.
Series: N/A
Main Character: Lyla Hamilton


Do the gates keep the unchosen out or the chosen in?
In Mandrodage Meadows, life seems perfect. The members of this isolated suburban community have thrived under Pioneer, the charismatic leader who saved them from their sad, damaged lives. Lyla Hamilton and her parents are original members of the flock. They moved here following the 9/11 terrorist attacks, looking to escape the evil in the world. Now seventeen, Lyla knows certain facts are not to be questioned:
Pioneer is her leader.
Will is her Intended.
The end of the world is near.
Like Noah before him, Pioneer has been told of the imminent destruction of humanity. He says his chosen must arm themselves to fight off the unchosen people, who will surely seek refuge in the compound's underground fortress--the Silo.
Lyla loves her family and friends, but given the choice, she prefers painting to target practice. And lately she'd rather think about a certain boy outside the compound than plan for married life in the Silo with Will. But with the end of days drawing near, she will have to pick up a gun, take a side, and let everyone know where she stands


Thank you to RandomHouse for sending me a review copy in exchange for an honest review!


Can I just say right in the first sentence of this review that this book is AWESOME? Okay, glad that I got that out of the way. Trust me, it will come up again later.

Gated is about a girl named Lyla whose sister was stolen when she was a kid. Both of them were outside, though Lyla went inside. When she and her mom came back outside, her little sister was gone. Around the same time, 9/11 occurred. Since Lyla's parents were so scared of all the terrorists around where they lived in New York, they automatically believed Pioneer when he told them that he knows the end is near. He explains that he can hear the Brethren and he can see the future. In other words, Pioneer is a prophet who can see more than anyone else.

Right after that, the family is whisked away to Mandrodage Meadows, a gated community where the Chosen live. In this gated community, everyone follows Pioneer's rules and there is no trouble or terrorism. As long as everyone follows the rules and trains for the apocalypse, everything will be good. In Mandrodage Meadows, all the kids are around the same age. Because of this, each person also has an Intended, or person that they are going to marry in the future. Lyla's Intended is Will, a guy she's been really good friends with for a while. He was her first friend when she moved to Mandrodage Meadows. 

Everyone in Mandrodage Meadows must know how to use a gun, in case of an emergency occurs during the apocalypse. Lyla doesn't like to shoot at the cutouts, because she doesn't want to shoot a mother and her child, even if it is just a cutout. She really cares for others. There's also a silo in Mandrodage Meadows. This is where everyone in the town will go when the time of the apocalypse comes. There's only one small thing, if you'd consider it small. How can anyone really know that Pioneer is telling the truth? What if he's showing and telling everyone things that aren't even true?

Like always, I MUST talk about the characters. Especially the characters in this book, because these characters were amazing.

Lyla was a great lead character. She always followed her instincts, so I really respected her. I also like how she wasn't exactly scared to go against the flow. If she knew something was wrong, she did it anyway, with a little contemplation. Lyla is a really great friend as well. She was there for Marie through the entire novel, even if Marie wasn't always there for her. I also think that Lyla grew a lot as a character throughout the entire novel. She started out as a goody two shoes who was really innocent and ended up as pretty much the complete opposite. You go girl!

Will was so sweet. He was Lyla's Intended and he always treated her respectably. I felt really bad for him because Lyla didn't feel the same way about him, so the feelings were only one way. Will was still an amazing best friend for Lyla.

Marie was such a great person. I think that she really influenced Lyla from the start, so basically Lyla owes Marie a huge thank you. Marie is Brian's Intended. Brian is also pretty good friends with Will and Lyla. He's part of their little group. Brian is really good at shooting.

Cody, the sheriff's son, was really phenomenal. He definitely changed Lyla's life. If Lyla didn't meet Cody, I don't know what would've happened to Lyla and everyone she loved. Cody definitely liked Lyla from the beginning and vice versa. Cody is really funny and cute. I'd definitely want to meet him!

Pioneer is seriously a new favorite character of mine. It really makes me wonder what's going through his head. Pioneer was just such a complex character and it was really interesting getting to know him through Lyla's (Little Owl's) eyes. Pioneer definitely had a soft spot for Lyla.

Alright, back to the awesomeness that I mentioned in the first sentence of this review. Gated is phenomenal. This story is so eerily creepy because it could happen in real life: it's almost like a real life situation. It's also pretty great because the entire time your reading the book you're thinking one thing, and then right at the end, BOOM. You're confused and wondering why you ever thought what you did. I love books with endings like this.  The characters were terrific and the story idea was just pure brilliance. Gated is currently my favorite book of 2013.

I'm still a little creeped out, though I've been recommending this book nonstop since I read it. I'm pretty sure my recommendations for this book will never stop, so you should really read this book soon, before I bombard you with more recommendations! Amy Christine Parker, you are definitely extraordinary and I can't wait to read more by you in the future!

Oh... and one more thing before I end this review...
You must read this book!

Recommended for fans of:
Thrillers
Dystopians
The Forsaken by Lisa M. Stasse

Rating:

4 comments:

  1. Oh, yay! I am happy to read a five star review of this novel, because I haven't come across one so far. I think the concept of this book sounds so awesome, and yes, the cover is just gorgeous. I love it when the characters in books are likeable, it just makes the whole reading experience that much better. I hope I can get a copy of this soon! :)
    Chiara @ Books For A Delicate Eternity

    ReplyDelete
  2. This book sounds so good, I love the premise. So glad the characters were done so well and that you loved the book so much. I'm adding it to my TBR list--great review! ~Pam

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great review! I got approved for an e-ARC and I can't wait to get started on it :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very strong recommendation here-the repeated use of my favorite adjective to describe this book is really piquing my interest though I initially didn't plan to read it. I guess I will need to get it on the schedule!

    ReplyDelete

Hello there! (: Thanks so much for taking the time to comment. I read each and every one!