Friday, August 2, 2013

Book Review: Aquifer by Jonathan Friesen

Title: Aquifer
Author: Jonathan Friesen
Publisher: Zondervan
Release Date: August 6, 2013
Source: Publisher for Review
Edition: ARC
Genre: Science Fiction
Cover Review: I love this cover! It has a really cool green color and I love the clock. 
Tagline: Truth lies just below the surface.
Series: N/A
Main Character: Luca

Only He Can Bring What They Needed to Survive.
In 2250, water is scarce, and those who control it control everything. And they’ll do anything to maintain their power – deceiving, dividing families, banning love ... even killing those who oppose them. But above all, they seek to control knowledge and communication – ensuring the truth that will bring their downfall will never be known. But one person verges on discovering it all. Sixteen-year-old Luca becomes the Deliverer, the only one allowed to contact the people called ‘Water Rats,’ who mine the essential water deep underground and bring it to the ‘Toppers’ who desperately need it above. But when he meets a Water Rat who captures his heart and leads him to secrets – secrets about a vast conspiracy, and about himself – the net around him tightens. Luca and those around him must uncover and share the truth needed to overthrow tyranny – even as they fight for their lives.

**Thank you very much to Zondervan for sending me a review copy in exchange for an honest review.**

Aquifer by Jonathan Friesen is about a boy named Luca who lives in a world where water is scarce. The Water Rats run the water in this world. In this future, there is a family lineage of Deliverers, and Luca happens to be the son of one, which means he will become the next Deliverer one day. These Deliverers go down into the Aquifer, which is a place run by Water Rats. The Deliverer must make an agreement with the Water Rats in order for the water to continue to flow into town. The Deliverer, of course, is adored. There are also a group of people called the Amongus, who work for the PM.

One day, when Luca is about to witness the death of some people, he saves one of them: Walery. He doesn't know Walery that well, but he still decides that it's not right for him to die. Luca keeps Walery in his house and tries to keep him alive whilst his father makes the agreement with the Water Rats. Later, Luca's father is dead and Luca must end up going to the Aquifer to make the agreement for the Toppers. Come to find out, not everyone is who they say they are and sometimes lies are told. Don't always believe the government.

Luca was a really great character. He didn't know much about the world, which I really liked. I love messed up governments. I really enjoyed finding out more about the government, Luca's past, and the rest of the world along with Luca. Talya, the daughter of a Water Rat, was pretty nice. It did bother me that there was a bit of Insta-Love between Talya & Luca, but then again, they are teenagers and teenagers fall in love pretty fast. I really liked how she was always so nice to Luca and she wasn't afraid to really explore the world. Walery was a character that I enjoyed in the beginning, though I really started to not like him. Meanwhile Lendi, one of Luca's friends from school, really grew on me. Lendi was really awesome and was there for Luca most of the time. Out of all the characters introduced, I felt that Seward was the strongest. He had the best background and I feel as if we knew the least about him, which was great. Plus, he's a pirate!

It was a bit confusing to get introduced into this world, though I slowly got the hang of it. I'd definitely say that this book is fast-paced, so try to keep up. If you can't, be prepared to go back and reread some parts. A few times I had to sit and rethink about what happened because it happened so fast and suddenly. I liked this book, but I gave it an extra star because Seward is REALLY awesome. Just saying. While reading this, I was really thinking about how the entire story could be told in less than 300 pages, so I did feel as if it was a bit fast. For a while I almost thought there was going to be a sequel until I got to the ending which really broke my heart!

I loved hearing about the past of the world and Luca's family history. It was really interesting because even he didn't know much. This definitely made the story all the better. I think that the aquifer was absolutely fantastic. All the people there were amazing. I also thought it was interesting how the Water Rats and Toppers had such different lives, even though they've been living so close near each other. Jonathan Friesen definitely has some pretty great ideas! I will definitely give this book a reread in the future.

Recommended for fans of:
Science Fiction
Dystopians

Rating:

6 comments:

  1. this sounds interesting and I like the cover as well

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, you finished this one fast! I remember your tweet from last night saying that you wanted to finish this and you already have the review out! The premise on this one sounds really interesting and I'm fine with fast-paced books. I also like that it's standalone because that seems to be a dying trend. I'll have to check this one out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I did finish it pretty fast! :D You should definitely check it out.

      Delete
  3. Hmm sounds like a book I might need to get a hard copy of for sure, but still sounds good! Thanks for sharing the review!
    Question: do you get your review copies from Netgalley??

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hmm...hadn't heard of this and not really sure it's my thing. The summary just looks kind of confusing. Thanks for sharing more about it so I could make an informed decision.

    ReplyDelete

Hello there! (: Thanks so much for taking the time to comment. I read each and every one!