Friday, August 16, 2013

Book Review: All Our Yesterdays by Cristin Terrill

Title: All Our Yesterdays
Author: Cristin Terrill
Publisher: Disney Hyperion
Release Date: September 3, 2013
Source: Publisher for Review
Edition: ARC
Genre: Science Fiction
Cover Review: This is one of the coolest covers I've ever seen. It's so unique!
Tagline: N/A
Series: N/A
Main Character: Em

"You have to kill him." Imprisoned in the heart of a secret military base, Em has nothing except the voice of the boy in the cell next door and the list of instructions she finds taped inside the drain.
Only Em can complete the final instruction. She’s tried everything to prevent the creation of a time machine that will tear the world apart. She holds the proof: a list she has never seen before, written in her own hand. Each failed attempt in the past has led her to the same terrible present—imprisoned and tortured by a sadistic man called the doctor while war rages outside.

Marina has loved her best friend James since the day he moved next door when they were children. A gorgeous, introverted science prodigy from one of America’s most famous families, James finally seems to be seeing Marina in a new way, too. But on one disastrous night, James’s life crumbles apart, and with it, Marina’s hopes for their future. Now someone is trying to kill him. Marina will protect James, no matter what. Even if it means opening her eyes to a truth so terrible that she may not survive it. At least not as the girl she once was.

All Our Yesterdays is a wrenching, brilliantly plotted story of fierce love, unthinkable sacrifice, and the infinite implications of our every choice.

*Thank you to Disney Hyperion for sending me a copy in exchange for an honest review!*

Em has been stuck in a jail cell right next to her friend Finn. They haven't seen each other in forever. She gets tortured every day, and, occasionally so does Finn. The only thing that's keeping them alive is a piece of paper that Em doesn't even have anymore. 

After sneakily keeping the spoon from the food she was given, Em opens up the drain and she finds a piece of paper that tells her what she must do in order to stop the world from getting as bad as it is. Em finds that she has retried many different strategies and none of them have worked yet. There is only one option left at the bottom of the list: she must go back and kill him. Deep in her heart, she knows that she must travel back and do it. So when Connor comes and helps Finn and Em break out, the two of them travel back in time in search for him. They must kill him while he's young so he doesn't grow up and do all the bad things that he does.

-Meanwhile, in the past-

Marina lives in a house that's quite expensive because her family has money. Next door lives James, the brother of Nate. James graduated highschool at the age of 15 and he's already in college. When he comes back, Marina is so excited to see him and she just wants to tell him how much she loves him. Her friends have finally convinced her to say something to him because she and James had been friends for so long. Of course, she doesn't get the guts to do it because James' friend Finn comes and Marina is asked to leave. Marina never liked Finn.There's just something about him. 

When James' brother Nate is mysteriously murdered right in front of their eyes, Finn, James, and Marina go on an adventure involving life and death.

All Our Yesterdays is definitely a book that you won't want to miss. It's an action-packed time travel novel filled with characters that you will grow to love more with each page. It was non-stop action and I just didn't want to put it down. I instantly loved Finn, even if Marina didn't like him. He was just so funny and I adored him. His character was just so well written. I want to meet a Finn!

All Our Yesterdays is written in two different point of views: Em and Marina. Em is more adventurous and crazy while Marina is a prim and proper. They're complete opposites. I absolutely loved seeing the world through both of their eyes. I'm personally a huge fan of alternating point of views so I was really excited when I saw that this one was one of them.

Now, this book is a time travel book. I love any type of time travel book. This book was really great in that aspect. I loved how Cristin Terrill used time travel and the whole "time is out to get us since we're not supposed to be here" thing. It was genius. This book was just so epic and many ways. We had the fantastic characters, it was time travel, and the alternating view points. Another cool thing about this book is that I think it would translate pretty well onto the big screen. It would make a seriously awesome movie.

One of my favorite things about All Our Yesterdays is that it's kind of a mystery as well. You won't believe some of the things that are thrown at you. I seriously couldn't believe it at times. I love how some of the characters knew more than what you knew as well. Cristin Terrill brilliantly told you throughout the book different clues that you could piece together to find some things out that you definitely didn't expect.

The only thing: this book is a standalone. I was quite sad when I found that out, though I guess it made me love the book even more as I'm probably going to reread this one again pretty soon. I definitely can't wait to read more books by Cristin Terrill in the future, as I'm sure I'll love those as well. Before this book comes out in September, I definitely suggest preordering it. Trust me, you won't regret it. 

Recommended for fans of:
Tempest by Julie Cross
Time Between Us by Tamara Ireland Stone

Rating:

8 comments:

  1. I'm literally covering the top part of your review with my hand because I haven't written up my own yet but I JUST finished this book and asfdlkjaoweifjkldjafs I can't even think right now what am I even doing I cnaf't omg. All I can say right now is that I agree with your rating 100%. Cristin Terrill is a goddess.

    I'm saving this link for after I write my review!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad you liked this one! I just received an ARC so I hope to be reading it soon. :)

    Toni @ My Book Addiction

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved this book as well. Such a fantastic time travel book! Like you, I absolutely love time travel books and this one was just so well-written. The author's take on time travel and the rules, etc. The ending, when you find out Finn told Em in the very beginning--loved that! And according to the author's website, this book is the first of a duology. I have no idea how that's going to go, given the ending, but I guess when it comes to time travel...Great review! ~Pam

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just finished this one earlier this week and I really liked it! I am not a fan of time travel books and I still enjoyed it so I think that speaks to how great it is. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just recently finished this book. It was simply amazing. I thought there will be a sequel. Goodreads didn't show it but in the letter that the author wrote at the end of All Our Yesterday, she mentioned there's more. So now I'm confused but even if it's just a stand alone I'm completely satisfied because it ended really well.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree with everything you said! It was so good to see things through Em and Marina's points of view, even thought before I finished the book, Marina kind of irritated me :D But it was all good in the end. And the time-travel was awesome! There were repercussions, at last.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm glad you liked this book! I'm usually not big on time travel but this cover is amazing and the summary sounds so good, so I think I will give it a chance :D

    Christy @ Christy's Book Addiction

    ReplyDelete
  8. Awesome review, I've had this for over a month now and have been afraid to read it because of the hype (I got burned by The 5th Wave)but I'm excited to read it now!

    ReplyDelete

Hello there! (: Thanks so much for taking the time to comment. I read each and every one!