Sunday, July 14, 2013

Why should books have a very in-depth setting?

This week I decided I'd talk about one of the many aspects of a what makes a good book: settings. I love my settings to be very descriptive because then I can really understand where the character is and how they live. It just helps in the story altogether.

In fantasies, I love knowing every single inch and centimeter of the world. I have to just know everything. I also like to know everything about my world in dystopians, especially how the world came to be. At least supply me with some brief history lessons to be be helpful.

How do you feel about settings and world building?

3 comments:

  1. I read some dystopians and I don't mind if some things get left out (if for example, the character grew up as/after life as we know it ended I wouldn't expect him or her to know too much about it. Just that the world is harsh) But I read a lot of paranormal/ urban fantasy and I need a very good reason why if werewolves and vampires are a thing and they are so tough.... why are they not everywhere? So rules and parameters become very very important.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My major thing is character development, but I think the setting can really help develop a character. I like really descriptive setting. I want to be able to close my eyes and feel like I'm really there.

    Aly @ My Heart Hearts Books

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like to know everything too-this is true when reading a novel and in my real life as well.

    ReplyDelete

Hello there! (: Thanks so much for taking the time to comment. I read each and every one!