Sunday, July 7, 2013

What makes a good book?

This week on Downright Discussions, I decided to talk about what makes a good book.

In my opinion, a good book has 5 outstanding things.

1. Great world building.
I like my books to have an outstanding setting which has great detail to help me understand and picture it. This is true for contemporaries as well, not just epic fantasies and dystopians. I really like to understand where the person is, and, if it's a dystopian, how the world got to be the way that it is. I love my inside history lessons; they are always fun to read about.

2. A relatable main character.
I really like it when a book has a relatable main character. This way, I can understand all the decisions they make and I can really begin to feel with them. I will still enjoy a book if the main character isn't relatable, but it definitely helps if I can relate with them in some way.

3. A love interest.
For some reason, I'm not a huge fan of a book unless there is at least a hint of love in it. I love romance but I like it on the side, you know? I really want to have an action-packed book with an interesting love interest. I don't know why, but it just makes the book for me. I also don't mind love triangles one bit. I actually LOVE love triangles. I enjoy rooting for a character, though I can get a little grumpy when the character doesn't choose the person that I root for. But hey, you win some you loose some, right?

4. A villain!
I guess this choice is kind of optional, but I do love my villains or anything that is going against the main character. It's pretty much the roadblock in their way. My favorite kind of villains are the ones with dark pasts such as Tom Riddle/Voldemort. I don't know why, but sometimes I really like feeling sad for the villain. It's like I can understand them for some reason.

5. A sidekick.
Okay, now this conversation is going towards a superhero sorta thing. But hey, what can I say? Superheroes are fun. I love my sidekicks or best friends. Some great sidekicks include Ron and Hermione from the Harry Potter books or Minho from the Maze Runner books.

What are some aspects that you look at? What makes a good book for YOU?

9 comments:

  1. I totally agree about the sidekick. I love books where there is a great supporting character for the hero/heroine to lean on for support. I especially like them if they're sassy and have great one-liners.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I usually like many of the same aspects as you. I don't think a good book necessarily has to have a villain, but there definitely needs to be a conflict, or a problem that the main character overcomes. It makes the book interesting :D
    And I definitely love best friends. I even like it when best friends turn evil, haha. I think that's awesome. Horrible for the main character, but intriguing for the reader.
    Chiara @ Books For A Delicate Eternity

    ReplyDelete
  3. WORLD BUILDING! I hate when I feel like an author made it up as they went along to suit the characters. Your characters live in this world, it makes them! Not the other way around. Also, sidekicks and love interests are cool, but I like my characters to have friends. So many books with female protags focus on how superspecial she is, and how no one compares to her. So the sidekick needs to be a fully realized characters, with a backstory and their own motivations. Ideally.
    If there's only one female in the whole book it affects enjoyability for me. It does.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Characters are definitely the biggest thing for me. I don't have to fully like every character, but I definitely want to understand them, and at least empathize with them on some level.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love a relateable MC and any good stories has a greatsidekick.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree with you completely when it comes to word-building, a relateable MC and a cool sidekick! If you're a fan of sidekicks, you should check out Jaclyn at JC's Bookhaven's Saturday Sidekick posts - each week, we choose a favorite sidekick based on a theme, and it's a lot of fun to see what everybody comes up with :)

    I love romance, too, but it's not a must for me to have romance in a great read. However, the writing has to be good, if it is filled with grammatical errors or plot-holes I am not in the story anymore, and then I'm not enjoying myself.

    Thanks for stopping by my It's Monday - What are you reading? post earlier.

    Happy reading :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love a good sidekick. Sometimes I like the sidekick better than the main character. Thanks for stopping by my blog last week. Following you on Bloglovin.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I agree, even when it's dystopian, I love to have at least some romance in the book. Some people think that it's unrealistic for that to be happening during all of these life-and-death situations, but I'm always like, you could die tomorrow so what are you waiting for?? I also like a good, page turning plot.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think I would meld love interest and sidekick together into good relationships-that can be what really grounds even the most unrealistic of stories into something I can grasp.

    ReplyDelete

Hello there! (: Thanks so much for taking the time to comment. I read each and every one!