Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Book Review: Unearthly by Cynthia Hand

Title: Unearthly
Author: Cynthia Hand
Publisher: HarperTeen
Release Date: January 4, 2011
Source: Purchased
Edition: Hardcover (435 pages)
Genre: YA Paranormal/Angels
Cover Review: This cover is absolutely beautiful. I love how it's color-toned and the font is absolutely gorgeous.
Tagline: N/A
Series:
Unearthly #1

Main Character: Clara Gardner



In the beginning, there's a boy standing in the trees . . . .
Clara Gardner has recently learned that she's part angel. Having angel blood run through her veins not only makes her smarter, stronger, and faster than humans (a word, she realizes, that no longer applies to her), but it means she has a purpose, something she was put on this earth to do. Figuring out what that is, though, isn't easy.
Her visions of a raging forest fire and an alluring stranger lead her to a new school in a new town. When she meets Christian, who turns out to be the boy of her dreams (literally), everything seems to fall into place and out of place at the same time. Because there's another guy, Tucker, who appeals to Clara's less angelic side.
As Clara tries to find her way in a world she no longer understands, she encounters unseen dangers and choices she never thought she'd have to make between honesty and deceit, love and duty, good and evil. When the fire from her vision finally ignites, will Clara be ready to face her destiny?
 WOW. What to say about this book? First of all, I read this with all the awesome people that participated in the Radical Read-Along hosted by Laura @ Music Plus Books, Jenna @ Rather Be Reading YA, and I. It was a great experience. 

Basically, Clara was born with a quarter angel blood. Since she's part angel, she has a purpose in life that will come to her in visions. Her visions lead her to Wyoming and a guy named Christian, who she has never met before. In her vision, she always sees herself helping Christian and saving him from a fire. She flies away with him. Since purposes are so important, Clara's mom up and moves the family (which consists of Clara, her brother Jeffrey, and her mom) all the way to Wyoming from their house in California. Of course, Jeffrey isn't very happy with this in the beginning, but he ends up making the wrestling team so he's absolutely fine with it.

Clara ends up fainting on the first day of school and Christian carries her to the nurse's office, which is very sweet. She automatically likes him. Clara becomes fast friends with Wendy and later with a girl named Angela, who has quite a lot in common with Clara. Wendy has a brother named Tucker who, after teasing and making fun of Clara for a while, ends up becoming really close with her. While all of this is going on, Clara must learn to fly and continue to only concentrate on her purpose, because that's all that really matters right now.

Clara is one of my new favorite characters. She's really funny and nice. I loved how funny she was with Tucker. I also thought that it was cool that she ended up having to dye her hair an orangey color just because of her glory (angel terminology). Clara definitely had the coolest mom, and her brother Jeffrey was always really nice to her. Christian was really sweet though I felt as if he was a little wary about Clara at times, especially during prom. Tucker is hilarious. He always made me laugh throughout the book. Though he's Wendy's brother, Clara still fell for him, and I can definitely see why. Wendy was a really great human friend for Clara because she definitely needed one at a new school. Wendy was always there for Clara and vice-versa. Angela was also a really great friend, though those of you who read the book know that she has a lot more in common with Clara than Wendy does. I definitely think that Clara needed a friend like Angela. 

I personally LOVE love triangles because I love to root characters on. With this book, I just couldn't choose who to root for! Christian is really sweet and lovable though Tucker is funny and adventurous. I'm currently leaning towards Tucker... though that could change!

Unearthly is a really unique, fun, angel book. The characters are fantastic and the whole idea of a purpose is just amazing. I love the wonderful world that Cynthia Hand has created, so great props to you, Cynthia Hand! This book definitely answered some questions though opened up many new ones, so I'm excited to hopefully get my hands on a copy of Hallowed and then Boundless. I'm definitely sticking around for this roller coaster of a ride.

Recommended for fans of:
Angels
Series
Paranormal Romance

Notable Quotes: 

"If idiots could fly, this place would be an airport."

"Sorry I'm late. I had to drag some Californians out of a snowbank."


"In the beginning, there's a boy standing in the trees."


"I moved here from California about a year ago, because I heard such great things about the fudge."

"Oh, you know. I'm queen of the rumor mill. It seems like there's been a new rumor about me every week since I got here. Comes with being the new girl, I guess. Have you heard the one where I seduced the basketball coach? That's a personal favorite."

"If you end up going to prom, save me a dance, okay?"

"We're young. We've got lots of time to fall in love."

"Have you ever been to a place you're supposed to love, but all you can think about is home?"


Rating:

Have you read this novel? I'd love to hear your thoughts!

8 comments:

  1. I really enjoyed this whole series. Tucker vs. Christian--it just gets harder and harder to choose. I think this was one of the few love triangles where one wasn't necessarily just there to keep the two "true love" ones apart. I can't wait for you to read the next ones so I can read your reviews! ~Pam

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't wait to read the rest of the series. :b

      Delete
  2. Good job with the review :) I had a lot of fun reading Unearthly! I'm definitely going to be reading the rest of the series! ^_^

    Here's My Review

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aw, too bad I missed the read-a-long, I haven't read this yet. Sounds like it is different than your typical angel book and the sound of the love triangle is really intriguing.

    Alise @ Readers in Wonderland

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's okay. We might do more readalongs in the future!

      Delete
  4. Great review, this sounds wonderful! We'd love to have you blurb your review over at Bookstore Bookblogger Connection, it would help us promote this series at local bookstores.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dang, was hoping you'd prefer Christian as I really adored him in this book but it seems like most people adore Tucker (and for good reason) so you're in good company.

    ReplyDelete

Hello there! (: Thanks so much for taking the time to comment. I read each and every one!