Thursday, July 18, 2013

Book Review: Monsters of Men

Title: Monsters of Men
Author: Patrick Ness
Publisher: Candlewick
Release Date: May 3, 2010
Source: Library
Edition: Hardcover (603 pages)
Genre: Science Fiction/Dystopian
Cover Review: Again, another beautiful cover! I love the orangeness. 
Tagline: N/A
Series: Chaos Walking #3
Main Character: Todd Hewitt

"War," says the Mayor. "At last." Three armies march on New Prentisstown, each one intent on destroying the others. Todd and Viola are caught in the middle, with no chance of escape. As the battles commence, how can they hope to stop the fighting? How can there ever be peace when they're so hopelessly outnumbered? And if war makes monsters of men, what terrible choices await? But then a third voice breaks into the battle, one bent on revenge - the electrifying finale to the award-winning "Chaos Walking" trilogy, Monsters of Men is a heart-stopping novel about power, survival, and the devastating realities of war.

This book was amazing. I still can't gather my thoughts about it and I finished it almost a week ago! Some answers are answered which I loved. We also get a new perspective... this time of one of the Spackle! This was really interesting because we always saw the war one sided and now we can actually see both sides. It really helps you to understand both sides' goals and such. So this book is mostly about war, since the end of the last book pretty much was the beginning of the war.  Of course, President Prentiss is really happy about this. He just can't contain his excitement because this is what he wanted all along.

Todd continued being awesome. He actually has a soft spot for Viola, which I love. It's funny because you wouldn't expect Todd to have a soft spot for anyone, but he does. I think this is so cute. It's kind of odd how Todd really resembles President Prentiss in some ways though. I can definitely see why this worries Viola so much.

Another character also comes back-one that I definitely didn't expect. It was really amazing though because all the sudden the character was there and I was so confused but happy at the same time. This book was just such a roller coaster. I don't want to go into too much detail because it's the last book in the trilogy, but I definitely think that you should pick this series up. It's absolutely amazing and I'm going to recommend these books to everyone.

Recommended for fans of:
The Maze Runner by James Dashner
Blood Red Road by Moira Young


Notable Quotes:


"It's not how we fall. It's how we get back up again."

"I'll find you-
Keep calling for me, Viola-
Cuz here I come."

"It's not the mistakes I made but how I responded to them."

"A monster, I think, remembering what Ben told me once. War makes Monsters of Men."

"Worst is the one who knows better and does nothing."

"War makes monsters of men, you once said to me Todd. Well, so does too much knowledge. Too much knowledge of your fellow man, too much knowledge of his weakness, his pathetic greed and vanity, and how laughably easy it is to control him."

Rating:

Have you read this book? I'd love to hear your thoughts!

4 comments:

  1. I have yet to read this series, but I really need to since I've heard nothing but amazing things :)

    Christy @ Christy's Book Addiction

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, this sounds so cool! This series was a recommended read from another blog as well, so now it's reaaally piqued my interest :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. I still need to read this series, it's been on my to-read shelf for some time now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Some good quotes there. I'm intrigued :D

    ReplyDelete

Hello there! (: Thanks so much for taking the time to comment. I read each and every one!