Friday, July 12, 2013

Book Review: The Ask and the Answer by Patrick Ness

This is the sequel to The Knife of Never Letting Go. This review may contain spoilers for The Ask and the Answer and The Knife of Never Letting Go.

Title: The Ask and the Answer
Author: Patrick Ness
Publisher: Candlewick
Release Date: May 4, 2009
Source: Library
Edition: Paperback (519 pages)
Genre: Science Fiction/Dystopian
Cover Review: This cover is awesome. Just like the first, I love how it has all the thoughts.
Tagline: N/A
Series: Chaos Walking #2
Main Character: Todd Hewitt

Part two of the literary sci-fi thriller follows a boy and a girl who are caught in a warring town where thoughts can be heard — and secrets are never safe.
Reaching the end of their flight in THE KNIFE OF NEVER LETTING GO, Todd and Viola did not find healing and hope in Haven. They found instead their worst enemy, Mayor Prentiss, waiting to welcome them to New Prentisstown. There they are forced into separate lives: Todd to prison, and Viola to a house of healing where her wounds are treated. Soon Viola is swept into the ruthless activities of the Answer, while Todd faces impossible choices when forced to join the mayor’s oppressive new regime. In alternating narratives the two struggle to reconcile their own dubious actions with their deepest beliefs. Torn by confusion and compromise, suspicion and betrayal, can their trust in each other possibly survive?

THIS BOOK. Can I just say that this series is a favorite of mine? Can I also say that I knew that as soon as I read the first word of the first page in the first book? Patrick Ness's writing style is something that I absolutely love. I've seen some reviews say that it's bothersome and annoying, but I love it so much. I like how sometimes there are sections where the writing just gets shorter and simpler with not even finished sentences. I just love it so much.

This book picks up right where the other one left off. Todd wakes up with the Mayor and he ends up having to work with Mayor, or shall I say President, Prentiss while Viola ends up on the other side of the spectrum. Viola is on the side that's going against everything that President Prentiss stands for. This makes it difficult because what if one of them hurts the other?

Throughout the book, it seems as if Todd is becoming more and more like President Prentiss. In fact, maybe he's been just like President Prentiss the entire time though he's just realizing this now. It's crazy to think about, yes, but it's true. Todd also begins to get close with Davy Prentiss. Yes, THE Davy Prentiss. Mostly because they have to work together, but I think that their relationship is really sweet.

 So on to the characters, which is always my favorite thing to talk about. Okay, LET'S DO THIS.

Todd Hewitt is still awesome. I love the way he talks and I actually don't mind that he's a lot like President Prentiss. I think that he has developed a lot of leadership qualities along his journey and it's very admirable. I'm sure he'll grow and learn even more in the final book.

Viola Eade may have been on a different side than Todd, though she still cared for him deeply. Just because she was on this side, she still stuck to what she believed, which I really liked.

Davy Prentiss really grew on me in this book, if you can believe it. His character is just so amazing and I just feel so bad for him. If you read this book, you'll know why.

Mayor Prentiss actually grew on me a bit too. I can definitely see his viewpoint on this whole situation and I may be against him in a few aspects, but I'm also pro-Prentiss mostly.

Mistress Coyle actually bothers me. She may be standing for something good, but I think that she's going about fixing her problems in all the wrong ways. Someone needs to have a little chat with her really soon, before it's too late.

This book was really fantastic. I didn't enjoy it as much as the first book, but it was still amazing. I did think it was a little slow at times, so I'm giving this one a 4.5 rating. I definitely suggest that you check this series out ASAP!

Rating:

Have you read this novel? I'd love to hear your thoughts!




3 comments:

  1. Great review. This is new to me, but if it is one of your favorite series, I will be adding it to be TBR list.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Everyone seems to love these books, I need to get it on this series pronto! Great review, your excitement is contagious and I will be picking up the first book soon! :)

    Alise @ Readers In Wonderland

    ReplyDelete
  3. Numerous men have initiated getting more considered to the type of accessories they really want. fake chanel This runs specifically true with regards to Men's Diamond Watches. fake rolex If you're searching for the perfect watch to fit your personality, you will not be disappointed as there is also a broad selection of watches available for you to decide upon. fake cartier It can be accurate that the watches can be a functional fashion accessory designed for everyone. replica rolex Men's watches today can be found in many several styles, colorings, and measurements. rolex replica Most guys know that their wrist watch definitely make a statement in relation to them. Realizing this will aid you to choose smartly that way, when you will be browsing the available men's watches, you can certainly carefully choose the brand in addition to model that best suits who you might be as a man.

    ReplyDelete

Hello there! (: Thanks so much for taking the time to comment. I read each and every one!