Saturday, June 29, 2013

Book Review: The Summer I Turned Pretty by Jenny Han

Title: The Summer I Turned Pretty
Author: Jenny Han
Publisher: Simon and Schuster Books for Young Readers
Release Date: May 5, 2009
Source: Purchased
Edition: Paperback (276 pages)
Genre: Contemporary
Cover Review: This cover is okay. I like how it's simple.
Tagline: N/A
Series: Summer #1
Main Character: Belly Conklin or Isabel

When each summer begins, Belly leaves her school life behind and escapes to Cousins Beach, the place she has spent every summer of her life. Not only does the beach house mean home away from home, but her favorite people are there: Susannah, her mother's best friend, and her sons, Conrad and Jeremiah. Belly has been chasing Conrad for as long as she can remember, and more than anything, she hopes this summer will be different. Despite distractions from a new guy named Cam and lingering looks from Conrad's brother, Jeremiah, Belly's heart belongs to Conrad. Will he offer his to her? Will this be the summer that changes everything?
Belly spends every summer in Cousins Beach at the beach house with her mom's best friend and two sons. The two boys' mother, Savannah, has had cancer in the past though she strongly fought it off. In the past, Belly has had a huge crush on one of the sons, Conrad Fisher. She's also been really close friends with Conrad's younger brother, Jeremiah Fisher. Both of the boys seem to be paying much more attention to her this summer, which greatly surprises Belly. Conrad seems to be having some anger issues though and Belly isn't sure if he likes her or not. Because of this, Belly goes to extremes and hooks up with a guy named Cameron at a bonfire. If Conrad can hook up with Red Sox girl, then Belly can hook up with Cameron. Cameron was in a Latin class that Belly was also in, and he recognized her. He even said that he only remembered Belly because he thought that she was absolutely gorgeous, which Belly finds hard to believe. I guess she's not good at taking compliments.

Anyway, both Jeremiah and Conrad almost seem jealous that Belly has a boyfriend, as they begin to pick on her and tease her like they used to when they were all younger. At the same time, it seems as if something bigger is going on that nobody is letting Belly in on. What could it be and will it tear everyone apart?

I thought this book was alright. I went into it thinking that it was going to be a really light read, which it definitely was. I was just looking for a summer read since vacation had just started. This one was a perfect choice. I absolutely loved the two brothers and their very distinct personalities. I personally liked Jeremiah a lot better than Conrad though, because Conrad really bothered me with his attitude. Jeremiah was just always so funny and happy all the time. The only reason this has 3.5 stars is because it's a contemporary and I usually don't enjoy them much. I liked this one, though I didn't love it. I found this book to be very enjoyable and I'll most likely finish this trilogy as I own the next two books already. If you're looking for a fun, summer read, then I suggest reading The Summer I Turned Pretty by Jenny Han.

Recommended for fans of:
Jenny Han
Contemporaries
Summer

Notable Quotes:

"Moments, when lost, can't be found again. They're just gone."

"Victory is a thousand times sweeter when you're the underdog."

"Sometimes it's like people are a million times more beautiful to you in your mind. It's like you see them through a special lens-but maybe if it's how you see them, that's how they really are. It's like the whole tree falling in the forest thing."

Rating:

Have you read this novel? I'd love to hear your thoughts!

2 comments:

  1. I actually love the book that's because it shows how she feels and how she straggles to chose between Conrad and Jeremiah. But she will figure it out later on. But hoped you enjoyed the book!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am always looking for a good summer book to bring to the beach for a quick read and I loved this! I love a strong female character and Isabelle "Belly" does not disappoint. You will find yourself falling for both brothers and rooting for Belly as she attempts to have the best summer ever. I read the whole book during one beach day and was upset I didn't order the sequel in advance so I recommend buying both!

    Mariz
    Get Best Info for SEO Marble Falls

    ReplyDelete

Hello there! (: Thanks so much for taking the time to comment. I read each and every one!