Wednesday, June 5, 2013

Book Review: Lies by Michael Grant

Title: Lies
Author: Michael Grant
Publisher: Katherine Tegen Books
 Release Date: April 5, 2011
Source: Purchased
Edition: Paperback (464 pages)
Genre: YA Dystopia
Cover Review: I actually don't mind this cover much, mostly because I love the blue. :)
Tagline: N/A
Series: 
Gone #3
Main Character: Sam Temple

It's been several months since all the adults disappeared. Gone.
It happens in one night: a girl who died now walks among the living; Zil and the Human Crew set fire to Perdido Beach, and amid the flames and smoke, Sam sees the figure of the boy he fears the most: Drake. But Drake is dead-or so they thought.
Perdido Beach burns and battles rage: Astrid against the Town Council; the Human Crew versus the mutants; and Sam against Drake, who is back from the dead and ready to finish where he and Sam left off. They say that death is a way to escape the FAYZ. But are the kids of Perdido Beach desperate enough to believe that death will set them free?
Wow... that's what Lies was. Wow! So much happened in this book. That's what I love about these books-they stick to some of the same stuff, but new characters get added and things become more intense and crazy. In Lies, a girl, Orsay, says that she can see other's dreams while she sleeps. She claims that she can also see the dreams of parents outside the FAYZ. Orsay also begins telling people that if they take the poof, then they will come out on the other side with their parents just fine. She's practically convincing people to commit suicide, which is just downright scary!

We also still have the Human Crew trying to defeat everyone with powers. Apparently Zil still can't understand that the people with powers can help protect them if it's needed-why should Zil attack them? Then there's the trouble of Drake, because he happens to come back, which is just creepy. Come on Drake, can't you die? If you can't tell, Drake is one of my least favorite characters.

Sam ends up leaving for a while as well, since Astrid has finally started getting on his nerves. It's strange because everyone says that he can't take matters into his own hands yet they seem to rely on him for everything. He just go confused and decided to leave for a while. At least we got to see Hunter again-I was curious about him from the last book.

Sam continued being awesome. I think it's actually a good idea that he left the town. It let them see just how much they needed (or didn't) need him. It was probably also good for him to finally take a break after all of the hard work he's had to do for the FAYZ and the kids of Perdido Beach. Astrid actually started to bug me in this book, though I'm not sure why exactly. Caine  is still my favorite character. I don't know if that's a good thing or a bad thing? I think that he's becoming nicer though. He actually cares for Diana, which I find kind of sweet. Diana continued being sneaky. I thought it was nice how the new kids on the island that Caine and his followers found left her untied up. They must see something in her that others don't. Briana still has one of the coolest powers-super speed. I thought it was nice how she stayed with Computer Jack whilst he was sick. Then again, the sickness ended up spreading to her. Edilio is still an awesome sidekick. I'm waiting for him to get a super awesome power, because I think it would be cool if he had one. Lana still heals people when she can, which I think is sweet. I think it's nice how she's really respected by the citizens of Perdido Beach now. Mary has finally gotten on my nerves though. She is just starting to really annoy me! She shouldn't care what Orsay has to say.

Lies was even greater than Gone and Hunger. I'm really enjoying this series and it's rapidly going up my favorite series list. I've even begun recommending it to my friends and I've actually gotten a few of them to read Gone and continue on with the series. If you didn't get that message, that means you should seriously pick up this series sometimes. It's unlike anything I've ever read. It's full of survival with no parents around, so the kids really get to shine It has war, love, friendship, business, animals, and so much more.

Recommended for fans of:
Survival
The Host by Stephanie Meyer

Notable Quotes: 

"The devil does not have a fork Brianna, he has a whip."

Rating:

Have you read this novel? I'd love to hear your thoughts!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello there! (: Thanks so much for taking the time to comment. I read each and every one!