Monday, June 10, 2013

Book Review: The Immortal Rules by Julie Kagawa

Title: The Immortal Rules
Author: Julie Kagawa
Publisher: Harlequin Teen
Release Date: April 24, 2012
Source: Purchased
Edition: Paperback
Genre: YA Dystopian, Paranormal, Vampires
Cover Review: I think this cover is really cool and simplistic.
Tagline: To survive in a ruined world, she must embrace the darkness
Series: Blood of Eden #1
Main Character: Allison Sekemoto


To survive in a ruined world, she must embrace the darkness
Allison Sekemoto survives in the Fringe, the outermost circle of a walled-in city. By day, she and her crew scavenge for food. By night, any one of them could be eaten. Some days, all that drives Allie is her hatred of them-the vampires who keeps humans as blood cattle. Until the night Allie herself dies and becomes one of the monsters.
Forced to flee her city, Allie must pass for human as she joins a ragged group of pilgrims seeking a legend-a place that might have a cure for the disease that killed off most of civilization and created the rabids, the bloodthirsty creatures who threaten human and vampire alike. And soon Allie will have to decide what and who is worth dying for again.
Enter Julie Kagawa's dark and twisted world as an unforgettable journey begins.

 The Immortal Rules was instantly a favorite. I knew that as soon as I started reading it. This was the second Julie Kagawa book that I've read, and it definitely didn't disappoint.. but more on that later. In The Immortal Rules, we follow Allison, who lives in a world where vampires practically rule. Humans must get tokens for food rations and donate blood every month. People who do this aren't even guaranteed safety though-just food. At night, rabid vampires could still come and snatch you up. Humans who don't abide by these rules must try and survive under the radar-humans like Allison.

In this world, a new virus has begun to spread. This causes vampires and humans to become rabid. This is why new vampires aren't always created anymore. Most of the vampires could be carriers of this disease and they'd just cause more problems for the world. Even animals can become rabids. Rabids are like diseased vampires. They don't think or realize that they're alive anymore, like normal vampires.

Allison lives with her crew in the old abandoned school. She isn't in charge, though she does help scavenge for food quite often. One day, after food rations became pretty low and hope seemed lost, Allison decided to venture out. She went farther than she should've... past the wall, where most of the rabids run free. The thing is, Allison knows how to be safe, so she survived, no problem. Allison ended up finding a whole lot of food in an underground hideout, so she goes back to the school and gets the rest of the crew to join in. They decide that there's no time like the present, so they go out and search. Even Stick goes, a guy in the group who's kind of a wee bit of a sissy.

After finally making it to the hideout, everyone begins grabbing food fast, as they began hearing noises outside. Everyone takes a run for it, but not everyone makes it back. Not even Allison. The thing is, Allison is given a choice between life or death by this vampire named Kanin. Of course, Allison being the survivalist that she is, chose to become a vampire. From then on, she became Kanin's responsibility as she learned to become a vampire. At one point, both Kanin and Allison end up separated, so Allison joins a fellow group of humans that she found. The thing is, how long can she keep up the act of being human before it's too late?

~Character Time!~
Just because there were so many awesome characters in this book, I'm going to have to write a lot about each one.

Allison was a true survivor. Even though she hated vampires, she went ahead and became one because it meant life... err, death but still life in some way. I thought it was nice how she was always looking out for Stick, even though she knew that she shouldn't be. She knows what it's really like in the world, and exactly how to survive. I also really appreciate how she said that one would never save someone else in this world, nor would they sacrifice themselves. It's every man for himself. Yet, she pretty much sacrificed herself to save Stick and she even ended up dying for it.

Lucas was actually one of my favorite characters in the beginning. I thought there was a relationship blooming between him and Allison, and I actually found it adorable. For those of you who have read this book, you understand why I'm saying what I'm about to say. I hope he's in the next book. 

Kanin is actually my favorite character from this book. He's very mysterious and he didn't like giving away much of his past, which I respect. I also like how he knows a lot more than he gives away. Kanin is also respectable for creating a new vampire and actually teaching her how to be a vampire. He really cares, which is nice.

Stick was so annoying. He couldn't do anything himself. Allison even died for him, and she came back to tell him that she was okay. What did he do about this? He went screaming vampire and they never saw each other again. Wimp.

Zeke was a really great character as well. I found it very nice that even in the world that he lives in, Zeke still puts others first. He's like a natural-born leader. I think it's really cute that he has a crush on Allison as well, because they are like complete opposites. The only thing they have in common is that they both hated vampires. 

Ruth was kind of annoying to me as well. She really had a huge crush on Zeke, it was pretty hard not to tell. She didn't seem to like the thought of having another girl in the group, like she might not get enough attention anymore or something.

Jeb was a great leader. I felt bad for him though, as he was brought up to hate vampires, and nothing could seem to change his mind about them. I guess he doesn't seem to quite understand that Allison was brought up the same way, but she learned to spread the love.

The Immortal Rules is definitely a book that I'd recommend. I can't wait to check out The Eternity Cure. I have a feeling it's going to be intense. I'm not sure if a love triangle is forming, though I do know that if it includes Zeke, Kanin, and Allison, I'm definitely Team Kanin. 

Recommended for fans of:
Darkness Before Dawn by J.A. London
The Hunt and The Prey by Andrew Fukuda
Vampire Apocalypse

Notable Quotes:
Yes, there's a lot... because this book was awesome!

"I would not suffer anyone to endure the path I walk. My road must always be traveled alone."

"My emotions still held a stubborn hope that humans could be loyal, that they could hold out against the promise of an easy life. But I knew better."

"Sometime in your life, Alison Sekemoto, you will kill a human being. Accidentally or as a conscious, deliberate act. It is unavoidable. The question is not if it will happen, but when."

"There will come a time when man is no longer concerned only with survival, when he will once more be curious as to who came before him, what life was like a thousand years ago, and he will seek out answers for a hundred years or so, but humans' curiosity has always driven them to find answers."

"And sometimes, hope is the only thing that gets us through the day."

"The closer you got to someone, the more it would destroy you when they were inevitably gone."

"You don't dwell on what you've lost, you just move on."

Rating:


Have you read this novel? I'd love to hear your thoughts!



6 comments:

  1. Awesome review! I'm so psyched to read this one now, it's been on my TBR forever!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kanin was my favorite too! Great review ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great review! Just read book 2 in this series, and it was amazing too:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just LOVE this one - it was so fantastic. This series is my new favorite of Julie's :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really adore Zeke-he's such an upstanding guy and I'm weak for his honorableness. Dying to find out what will happen in book 3!

    ReplyDelete

Hello there! (: Thanks so much for taking the time to comment. I read each and every one!