Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Book Review: Tattoo by Jennifer Lynn Barnes


Tattoo (Tattoo, #1)
Title: Tattoo
Author: Jennifer Lynn Barnes
Publisher: Delacorte Books for Young Readers
Release Date: January 9, 2007
Source: Purchased
Edition: Paperback (260 pages)
Genre: YA Paranormal/Fairies
Cover Review: Alright, I'll admit it, this cover is kinda cheesy. 
Tag Line: N/A
Series: Tattoo #1
Main Character: Bailey Morgan



Bailey Morgan isn't the type of girl who shows a lot of skin, but somehow, she ends up in a dressing room at the mall with her friend Delia applying a temporary tattoo to her lower back. Never one to suffer fashion doubt, trendsetter Delia knows exactly where she wants her own tattoo: on her stomach, right where her shirt ends—can you say "midriff"? Annabelle, the quiet one, chooses the back of her neck, and tomboy Zo plasters hers on the top of her foot. The tattoos will last for three days, and Delia's sure that with them, the four friends will absolutely kill at the school dance.

Unfortunately, killing is just what someone has in mind, and Bailey, Delia, Annabelle, and Zo are in for the battle of their lives. Along with her tattoo, each girl receives a gift—a supernatural power to help them in their fight. As Bailey's increasingly frightening dreams reveal the nature of their enemy, it becomes clear to the girls that it's up to them to save the world. And if they can get Delia to stop using her newfound power to turn gum wrappers into Prada pumps, they might actually stand a chance.

 Tattoo is about a girl named Bailey and her three friends. One day while at the mall, a lady stops them at a kiosk and gives each of them a different accessory. When it's Bailey's turn, the lady tells her that she can actually pick which accessory she wants. Bailey ends up accidentally knocking over a drawer, and decides on the choice of temporary tattoos. While the girls go dress shopping, they each decide to put their tattoos on. Each girl decides on a different place. Even though they don't know how to put the tattoo on since they don't have water, it just sticks to them without it. Bailey ends up blacking out and seeing weird things when each of the girls put their tattoo on. Nobody else experiences the same thing, which kind of freaks her out. Immediately after the tattoos are placed upon their skin, each develops special powers. Zo can see the future, Annabelle can read minds, Delia can transmogrify any object, and Bailey can set fire to anything.

Bailey was such a great main character. It was interesting following the story through her footsteps. I really liked being able to see into her head whenever she was having dreams, because her dreams tended to be real. It's also pretty visible that something is quite different about her other than the other girls.

Zo was really cool. I liked how she was a tomboy and was jealous of other's powers. She didn't want to be able to see the future. I'm not sure if I would want to either; whenever she was seeing the future she seemed to be filled with pain.

Delia was the fashion star of the group. She was always worried about fashion labels and what others were wearing. You can probably imagine her excitement when she found that she could transmogrify a piece of garbage into a new Gucci.

Annabelle was my favorite character. She was usually very quiet, though her power really suited her. She could talk to others through her brain, read others minds, and she could also tell people to do something and they'd actually do it. It kind of reminded me of The Vampire Diaries, in a way.

Tattoo was such an interesting book. It was better than I thought it would be. I think that the entire story line and the mystical powers of the tattoos really intrigued me. I also didn't expect that there would be any other creatures involved, though faeries were just thrown in there and they ended up making up a big part of the story line. The only thing that kind of bothered me was the final fight. The buildup to it got me really excited and I just couldn't wait for it. I was expecting some huge showdown that would last a while, though it ended up lasting only like three pages. I ended up having to flip back to make sure that it actually already happened. I'd definitely suggest giving this novel a try!

Recommended for fans of:
The Vampire Diaries by L.J. Smith
Paranormal Romance

Notable Quotes:

Your eyes surprise me every time I look into them and they're looking back at me. Your mouth surprises me, because you always seem to smile more with one half that with the other, like part of you knows a funny secret that none of the rest of us, not even your other half, can guess.

 Rating:
 

Have you read this book? I'd love to hear your thoughts!

8 comments:

  1. I've seen this one on a couple of other blogs but I've never really seen any reviews on it. It does sound interesting though, and I'd probably give it a try if I came across a copy of it. Great review! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds like a fun book! I've heard a lot about the author but have never picked up one of her books!! I might have to check this book out!! Love your review!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, Krystianna! Thanks for reviewing Tattoo! I hadn't heard of this one but I love Jennifer Lynn Barnes' Raised by Wolves series so I will definitely pick up this one! Fab review!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bailey sounds like a main character that I would like too. I haven't heard much about this one so thanks for review

    ReplyDelete

Hello there! (: Thanks so much for taking the time to comment. I read each and every one!