Monday, May 13, 2013

Book Review: Me and Earl and the Dying Girl by Jesse Andrews

Title: Me and Earl and the Dying Girl
Author: Jesse Andrews
Publisher: Amulet Books
Release Date: March 1, 2012
Source: Purchased
Edition: Hardcover (295 pages)
Genre: YA Contemporary
Cover Review: I love all the little scenes and how they are color coordinated.
Tag Line: N/A
Series: N/A
Main Character: Greg Gaines


Greg Gaines is the last master of high school espionage, able to disappear at will into any social environment. He has only one friend, Earl, and together they spend their time making movies, their own incomprehensible versions of Coppola and Herzog cult classics.

Until Greg’s mother forces him to rekindle his childhood friendship with Rachel.

Rachel has been diagnosed with leukemia—-cue extreme adolescent awkwardness—-but a parental mandate has been issued and must be obeyed. When Rachel stops treatment, Greg and Earl decide the thing to do is to make a film for her, which turns into the Worst Film Ever Made and becomes a turning point in each of their lives.

And all at once Greg must abandon invisibility and stand in the spotlight.

This book was one of the most unique books I've ever read. First of all, the cover is extraordinary. Most YA covers don't look like this... they usually have a picture of a girl on the cover or a symbol. This one is mostly shapes and cover... it's just so cool! Another thing-this book was written in many different ways. Lists, scenes, and normal writing. It was just so interesting to read. I was never bored, which is unusual. There's always at least one low-point for me in a book... not this one.

Greg, the main character, tries so hard to fit in with everybody at school. He has tons of rules and tries not to stay talking or hanging out with any one group for too long of a time. Greg doesn't want anyone to feel left out of his popularity. Greg's mom begins having him hang out with Rachel who now has leukemia. Rachel was one of Greg's childhood friends who he hadn't spoken to in quite a while.

One of Greg's favorite things to do in his spare time is make movies with his friend Earl. They have a collection of all the past movies that they've made. It's kind of a cool hobby.. at least I think it is!
Anyway, as time goes on, not only does Rachel change, but Greg does too.

Greg was a really cool character. It was interesting because he wasn't exactly part of one main group. He says it's because he likes being in every group, but maybe it's because he hasn't exactly found a place where he belongs yet. Earl was a really funny character. Some of the things that he said made me laugh. Rachel made me feel sad. She really liked Greg a lot, so it was nice that they were able to become friends again.

If you're looking for a unique, fun read, I suggest reading Me and Earl and the Dying Girl by Jesse Andrews. It was hard to put down because of all its uniqueness! If you haven't read it, I highly suggest doing so soon!

Recommended for fans of:
The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky
John Green
Libba Bray

Memorable Quotes:

"It's like when a kitten tries to bite something to death. The kitten clearly has the cold-blooded murderous instinct of a predator, but at the same time, it's this cute little kitten, and all you want to do is stuff it in a shoebox and shoot a video of it for grandmas to watch on YouTube."

"If after reading this book you come to my home and brutally murder me, I do not blame you."

Rating:


Have you read this novel? I'd love to hear your thoughts!

6 comments:

  1. I recently learned of this book, and I've wanted to read it since. Maybe, hopefully, I can fit it in this year. Being a huge Perks fan, though, I will have to check out Andrews' book at some point! Glad you enjoyed it (:

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great review, Krystianna! I've been wanting to read this for so long, primarily because of the cover and then the plot and all the raves, and so your review made me want to read it more. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've heard so much about this book, and I really hope I get to it soon! It sounds very John Green-ish, which I love. Great review :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think that I would really connect with and pull for Greg and love hearing that it is original,

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hadn't heard of this before, but it sounds super, thanks for putting it on my radar :)
    Katja

    ReplyDelete
  6. This film has homages and witticisms you'll miss on the first viewing: I guarantee that. It won't matter, because you will be riveted by this film no matter what. It is going in my collection, and THAT is saying something.

    Mariz
    Houston Infrared Building Inspection Services

    ReplyDelete

Hello there! (: Thanks so much for taking the time to comment. I read each and every one!