Thursday, May 2, 2013

Book Review: Divergent by Veronica Roth

Title: Divergent
Author: Veronica Roth
Publisher: Katherine Tegan Books
Release Date: May 3, 2011
Source: Purchased
Edition: Hardcover (487 pages)
Genre: YA Dystopian
Cover Review: This cover is very symbolic of the story and I absolutely love the city in the background.
Tag Line: One choice can transform you.
Series: Divergent #1
Main Character: Beatrice Prior


In Beatrice Prior's dystopian Chicago, society is divided into five factions, each dedicated to the cultivation of a particular virtue--Candor (the honest), Abnegation (the selfless), Dauntless (the brave), Amity (the peaceful), and Erudite (the intelligent). On an appointed day of every year, all sixteen-year-olds must select the faction to which they will devote the rest of their lives. For Beatrice, the decision is between staying with her family and being who she really is--she can't have both. So she makes a choice that surprises everyone, including herself.

During the highly competitive initiation that follows, Beatrice renames herself Tris and struggles to determine who her friends really are--and where, exactly, a romance with a sometimes fascinating, sometimes infuriating boy fits into the life she's chosen. But Tris also has a secret, one she's kept hidden from everyone because she's been warned it can mean death. And as she discovers a growing conflict that threatens to unravel her seemingly perfect society, she also learns that her secret might help her save those she loves . . . or it might destroy her.

I originally read Divergent around a year ago, and I thought it was alright. I'm guessing that maybe all the hype had something to do with it? I had only rated it four stars. I decided to read it again, since I had purchased Insurgent the day that it had come out and it was about time I finally read it (I still haven't...). So, the journey began again, but this time, I was completely blown away.

The world that Veronica Roth created was completely extraordinary. The whole idea of having to take a test to see what faction you'd be best in is absolutely interesting. Then you get to choose and you have to live the rest of your life in that faction... if you survive the opening test. It's probably hardest to get into Dauntless, since you have to jump off trains and buildings and even fight people!

Beatrice was such a great protagonist. She decided that she'd do exactly what she wanted, no matter what other people thought of her. She went against everything she was taught and she went to a whole different faction... the Dauntless. It takes a lot to do something like that. Come to find out, she wasn't the only one in her family that was actually Dauntless. Four was absolutely great. He was so kind to Tris. I thought that Four & Tris had a great relationship; one that I definitely won't forget.

There were many unpredictable things that happened in the end, most definitely. I was really sad and excited at the same time. CONFLICTED FEELINGS!

Anyway, I'm super glad that I read this book again. I read it quite quickly because I just couldn't put it down. If you're looking for a dystopian book filled with romance, action, and many unpredictable things, I definitely say you should check this book out sometime.

Recommended to fans of:
The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins
The Forsaken by Lisa M. Stasse
Action

Notable Quotes:



"I might be in love with you." He smiles a little. "I'm waiting until I'm sure to tell you, though."

"Becoming fearless isn't the point. That's impossible. It's learning how to control your fear, and how to be free from it."

"I feel like someone breathed new air into my lungs. I am not Abnegation. I am not Dauntless. I am Divergent."

"Then I realize what it is. It's him. Something about him makes me feel like I am about to fall. Or turn to liquid. Or burst into flames."

"We believe in ordinary acts of bravery, in the courage that drives one person to stand up for another."

Rating:

 

7 comments:

  1. I read Divergent early last year and I still have to read Insurgent. Though I remember LOVING Divergent. It was my first Dystopian and I was simply blown away by the world and yeah, Beatrice was pretty kick ass too. The ending was so sad and at that time I was dying to read the next book. Oh well. I'll get to it soon. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think the hype around this one dulled it a bit for me. I had fun reading it but I didn't find the worldbuilding as strong as in, say, The Hunger Games.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for posting this.This is awesome!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really liked Divergent as well, the main character is fun!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I enjoyed Tris and Four as well, and the world was nice. Glad you enjoyed more this go round.
    Brandi @ Blkosiner’s Book Blog

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is definitely one of my favorites! I'm glad you enjoyed it as much as I did.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I haven't read this series yet, but with all the hype and the movies and all, I probably should. You make it sound pretty good. :)

    ReplyDelete

Hello there! (: Thanks so much for taking the time to comment. I read each and every one!