Thursday, May 23, 2013

Book Review: Between the Lines by Jodi Picoult and Samantha van Leer

Between the LinesTitle: Between the Lines
Author: Jodi Picoult and Samantha van Leer
Publisher: Simon Pulse
Release Date: June 26, 2012
Source: Purchased
Edition: Hardcover (358 pages)
Genre: YA Fantasy/Fairy Tale/Contemporary
Cover Review: I really like this cover. Every time I look at it, I notice something different: the castle, the wand, the book. 
Tagline: N/A
Series: 
Between the Lines #1 (POSSIBLY!)
Main Characters: Prince Oliver, Delilah

New York Times bestselling author Jodi Picoult and her teenage daughter present their first-ever novel for teens, filled with romance, adventure, and humor.What happens when happily ever after…isn’t?     Delilah is a bit of a loner who prefers spending her time in the school library with her head in a book—one book in particular. Between the Lines may be a fairy tale, but it feels real. Prince Oliver is brave, adventurous, and loving. He really speaks to Delilah.     And then one day Oliver actually speaks to her. Turns out, Oliver is more than a one-dimensional storybook prince. He’s a restless teen who feels trapped by his literary existence and hates that his entire life is predetermined. He’s sure there’s more for him out there in the real world, and Delilah might just be his key to freedom.     Delilah and Oliver work together to attempt to get Oliver out of his book, a challenging task that forces them to examine their perceptions of fate, the world, and their places in it. And as their attraction to each other grows along the way, a romance blossoms that is anything but a fairy tale.

Between the Lines is a new favorite of mine. Jodi Picoult and Samantha van Leer have come up with the most outstanding question: What do book characters do while the book is actually closed? They decided that the characters actually talk and become friends with another while the book is closed. They also have completely different personalities. Perhaps the evil villain is actually a really nice guy. Also, it's as if the characters act out the story. They actually have to get into places and not mess up their lines. This entire idea just amazed me so much.

The reader follows three different point of views: the fairytale, Delilah, and Oliver. Between the Lines is about a teen named Delilah who always finds friends in books. She ends up finding a book named Between the Lines and she absolutely loves it. The only problem is... it's a child's book. One of Delilah's favorite things about the book is that she can easily relate with the main prince, Oliver. Sometimes, Delilah even feels as if she can actually see Oliver move.

In Oliver's point of view, he just wants to leave. He's portrayed as a brave person, though he's not brave at all. The only thing he wants to do is get out of the book by trying to get somebody's attention. He feels that it's rather boring acting out the same story over and over and over and over and... yeah, point proved. He decides to go after Delilah.

Oliver actually ends up getting Delilah's attention and both become closer in the search to help Oliver get out of the book.

Delilah was such a relatable character. She loved books. How much closer could we get? If only book characters could actually talk... Oliver is one of my new favorite characters. He was just so funny. There's also the fact that he's a prince. Oliver and Delilah would be so good together.

I've actually met Jodi Picoult at a signing recently, and I found that there might possibly be a sequel sometime. I mean, there's definitely a cliffhanger, so I hope that there is one! If you're looking for a really fun and clever read, definitely pick this one up. I'm definitely going to read mine repeatedly.

Recommended for fans of:
Fairy tales
Jodi Picoult
Contemporaries

Notable Quotes:
 This is probably the most favorite quotes I've had in a while.

"Just because it's fiction doesn't mean it's any less true."

"That's what love is. It's some power greater than you and me, that draws us to one special person."

"Everyone Deserves A Happy Ending."

"In books, you always know what's coming next. There are no surprises."

"You may be real, but you're still stuck in a book."

"Talking out loud to fictional characters is just the tip of the iceberg."

"What makes a treasure a treasure is how rare a find it is, when you need it most."

"Maybe the reason I've never died in this story is that I've never had something worth dying for before."

"Who spit in your porridge?"


"She's not like anyone I've ever seen before. When I'm not with her, I want to be. And when she opens the book and I see her face, I can barely remember what I'm supposed to say, much less how to speak at all". I test the words on my tongue. "I think I might be in love with her. But how can I really know, since the only love I've ever experienced was written for me?"

"Is it really worth dying for the person you love?"


"Just so you know," I begin, "when they say 'Once upon a time'... they're lying. It's not once upon a time. It's not even twice upon a time. It's hundreds of times, over and over, every time someone opens up the pages of this dusty old book."

"Here's what no one ever tells you about love: it hurts, having your heart broken."

"The question is not if you're willing to die for her. The question is, can you live without her?"

Rating:

 Have you read this novel? I'd love to hear your thoughts!

 

6 comments:

  1. Awesome review! I bought this last year when Jodi and her daughter Samantha were touring for the book! Still haven't gotten around to reading it though I want to! (I say that about all my TBR books though!!) It does sound fabulous! I love bookish worlds and having one collide with our world sounds like the perfect read for the reader!

    I do remember them mentioning something about perhaps having a sequel, but her daughter still has school to work on, so it might be awhile if it does happen! Oh well. I still have to read this one! Maybe by that time the sequel will be out!!

    Once again, great review! I definitely cannot wait to read it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I heard the same thing.
      Thank you so much!

      Delete
  2. A great review... This book actually featured on my Spring TBR list (with Jodi Picoult being one of my favourite authors and enjoying all things fairy tale it was naturally going to be on a tbr list at some point). Having said that, I haven't got round to reading it... Why? I think I'm holding out so I can buy a paperback version as I just prefer those has opposed to hardcover (the quirks of a book lover eh). Your review has made me want to read it even more so now, and I particularly love the first quote you featured.

    My Book Bubble

    ReplyDelete

Hello there! (: Thanks so much for taking the time to comment. I read each and every one!