Monday, March 18, 2013

Book Review: Perfect You by Elizabeth Scott





Title: Perfect You
Author: Elizabeth Scott
Publisher: Simon Pulse
Release Date: March 25, 2008
Source: Purchased
Edition: Paperback (282 pages)
Genre: YA Contemporary
Cover Review: Yeah... not a big fan of this cover.
Tagline: N/A
Series: N/A
Main Character: Kate Brown

Kate Brown's life has gone downhill fast.Her father has quit his job to sell vitamins at the mall, and Kate is forced to work with him. Her best friend has become popular, and now she acts like Kate's invisible.

And then there's Will. Gorgeous, unattainable Will, whom Kate acts like she can't stand even though she can't stop thinking about him. When Will starts acting interested, Kate hates herself for wanting him when she's sure she's just his latest conquest.

Kate figures that the only way things will ever stop hurting so much is if she keeps to herself and stops caring about anyone or anything. What she doesn't realize is that while life may not always be perfect, good things can happen -- but only if she lets them...
 Perfect You by Elizabeth Scott is a contemporary novel. As many people may know, I'm not the biggest fan of any contemporary novels. For some reason, I'm into all the action-packed fighting books with futuristic devices. Stuff that could never possibly happen, right? So I wasn't expected much with this book at all. I was just reading it for fun, since it was around Valentine's Day.

The main character, Kate, could easily be relatable for some people. She has to work a job with her father just so her father can get buy... yet her family still doesn't have enough money. Her grandma ends up coming to help them with the money situation. What's even worse is that her father actually quit his job after having a sudden realization that he had to be in the vitamin industry after an earthquake. That doesn't happen every day, but for some reason, he felt the need to try it. So basically her father put the family in debt, since his father doesn't sell anything. I guess nobody wants to buy vitamins when they're in a mall.

Kate used to be really good friends with a girl named Anna. Anna ended up becoming popular after losing a lot of weight and she just left Kate behind in the dust, as if she never cared for her at all. Kate has to go to school every day and see Anna even though Anna never waves or even says the slightest hello to her. How could Anna do that to someone? It's just not right.

Anyway, I think the best character in the entire book was Will. Kate had known Will for the longest time and he always gets on her nerves. In other words, he has a big crush on her, though Kate doesn't seem to see it for some reason at all. Will works at the mall where Kate's father has his little vitamin shop, so he ends up seeing her around a lot. Well, anyone can put two and two together.

I thought this book was pretty good. It was just what I was expecting. A light read. The only thing I didn't enjoy was the ending. I felt as if not much was solved, but maybe that's just how contemporary novels are. I guess I'm not sure. I'll be sure to try to check out some more of Elizabeth's novels in the future if I can.

Recommended for fans of:
Contemporaries
Stephanie Perkins

Notable Quotes:

"Things end. People leave. And you know what? Life goes on. Besides, if bad things didn't happen, how would you be able to feel the good ones?"

"I didn't want it to be one good memory that led to a lot of bad ones. I wanted it to stay what it was, one amazing moment, something that was strong and sweet enough to stand on its own. Something I could remember without any pain."

Rating:
 
Have you read this novel? I'd love to hear your thoughts!

4 comments:

  1. You blog name suggests you're not a contemporary fan, Krystianna! ;) Ah, well, except for the ending, I'm glad to hear you enjoyed the book. Anna sounds so mean, but Will does sound great. I tend to like lighthearted reads and I'm a Stephanie Perkins fans, so I will definitely keep an eye out for Perfect You. Awesome review! :)

    Sarika @ The Readdicts

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was an awesome book! I reviewed it last year some time myself. I did like that everyone seemed to be majorly flawed, although, I found myself getting pissed off at Kate's dad for most of the book and everyone else around him for putting up with it. This is one I would read aagain, though.

    Tammy @ Bo's Book Nook

    ReplyDelete
  3. Title:
    The Best High Returns on Best Investment
    Content:
    Welcome to Make Money Online with best investment in Hedge fund day trading with high returns on Daily Interest the world best revenue sharing program in which High withdraw is only $5 which is on daily basis.
    For More Details click the link below:
    Yield Investment Program, Best Hyip, Best Investment, Hyip Monitor, Forex Fund, Daily Profit, Monthly Interest, Monthly Profit, Earn Money Online, Money Maker Group, Dream Team Money and like this much more and you can withdraw the amount throw referral commission, eCurrency Invest, LibertyReserve, Alert Pay and SolidTrustPay as well. Get 200% profit within 150 days and the minimum
    Web Link:
    http://www.whatacash.com

    Display Name: whatacash

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is still my favorite Scott book-I love the swoon between Kate and Will (who is a big reason why I love book boys named Will). Glad you enjoyed this foray into contemporary even though it's not a fave.

    ReplyDelete

Hello there! (: Thanks so much for taking the time to comment. I read each and every one!