Friday, March 15, 2013

Book Review: Linger by Maggie Stiefvater

Title: Linger
Author: Maggie Stiefvater
Publisher: Scholastic Press
Release Date: July 10, 2010
Source: Purchased
Edition: Hardcover (360 pages)
Genre: YA Paranormal Romance; Werewolves
Cover Review: This cover is just as beautiful as the first book. I really like how this one has a girl... it's probably Grace.
Tagline: N/A
Series: Wolves of Mercy Falls #2
Main Characters: Grace Brisbane, Sam Roth, Isabel Culpeper, and Cole St. Clair
In Maggie Stiefvater's Shiver, Grace and Sam found each other. Now, in Linger, they must fight to be together. For Grace, this means defying her parents and keeping a very dangerous secret about her own well-being. For Sam, this means grappling with his werewolf past . . . and figuring out a way to survive into the future. Add into the mix a new wolf named Cole, whose own past has the potential to destroy the whole pack. And Isabelle, who already lost her brother to the wolves . . . and is nonetheless drawn to Cole.

Linger was a truly amazing story. I thought that the first book was absolutely amazing, though I think that this one was even better. I loved all of the new perspectives, such as Cole and Isabel. It was really interesting to see into Isabel's head because of how she was portrayed in book one. She's actually not all that despicable! She's actually really helpful and she's a great friend to Grace.

I was really worried for Grace in Linger.  You know that something is up with her from the first page of the prologue. She's starting to act much different. I just wish that she didn't keep it all to herself until it was too late! I just can't help but feel bad for Sam, you know? He's always so sweet and he never really keeps anything to himself. He always tells Grace!

Sam was just as amazing as usual. He was living his life not having to worry about suddenly turning or anything. Sam is trying to find a cure for the wolves though, since his cure might not stay forever. He's also enjoying his new job as being in charge of the wolves when they change back into humans. He gets to do the job that Beck once did. Sam feels bad for all the humans who have to change, since he knows exactly what they are going through.

Cole St. Clair is probably one of my new favorite characters of all time. There's just something about him. He used to be in a band, though he was a party animal. Cole is one of the new werewolves that Beck had changed before he became a wolf permanently. I think that he and Isabel would be really good together.

Maggie's writing style is also amazing as ever. I love how she incorporates music into her writing style, since Sam is a musician. I'm definitely kind of sad to get started on Forever, since it's the last book in the Wolves of Mercy Falls series. At the same time, I need to know what happens, NOW! Especially with that cliffhanger of an ending!

Recommended for fans of:
Obsidian by Jennifer L. Armentrout
Maggie Stiefvater

Notable Quotes:

"Right now, it's hard to imagine that it is raining anywhere in the world."


"This is a love story. I never knew there were so many kinds of love or that love could make people do so many different things. I never knew there were so many different ways to say goodbye."

"I couldn't imagine ever reading a book enough to make it look like that. It looked like it had been driven over by a school bus after someone had taken a bath with it."

"I won't let this be my good-bye. I've folded one thousand paper crane memories of me and Grace, and I've made my wish. I will find a cure. And then I will find Grace."

Rating:
Have you read this novel? I'd love to hear your thoughts!

4 comments:

  1. I loved this series. Glad you did too, hope you enjoy Forever as well. Great review. :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved getting to meet Cole and Isabel. I feel like they really took this book to the next level with their interesting perspectives.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this book series and Cole is awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ohh, good to know book two was even better than book one! I read Shiver almost a year ago and really want to finish the trilogy this year!

    ReplyDelete

Hello there! (: Thanks so much for taking the time to comment. I read each and every one!