Monday, March 11, 2013

Book Review: The Evolution of Mara Dyer by Michelle Hodkin

Title: The Evolution of Mara Dyer
Author: Michelle Hodkin
Publisher: Simon & Shuster Books for Young Readers
Release Date: October 23, 2012
Source: Purchased
Edition: Hardcover (544 pages)
Genre: YA Paranormal Romance
Cover Review: I think this cover is absolutely stunning. I like it even more than the first.
Tagline: N/A
Series: Mara Dyer #2
Main Character: Mara Dyer

Mara Dyer once believed she could run from her past.

She can’t.

She used to think her problems were all in her head.

They aren’t.

She couldn’t imagine that after everything she’s been through, the boy she loves would still be keeping secrets.

She’s wrong.

In this gripping sequel to The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer, the truth evolves and choices prove deadly. What will become of Mara Dyer next?
Since this book was just so amazing, I decided not to do a summary like I suaully do. I don't want to ruin anything because this book was so breathtaking. Here's the only summary I'll give: book 2 picks up right where book 1 left off.

This book was so much better than the first book, which is crazy talk because the first one was so great. So much more happens and Jamie is finally back. I had a feeling it wasn't the last that we'd seen of him! I just can't believe that people think that Mara is still crazy. At least her parents really appreciate Noah! They actually allow him to come over all the time because of how nice he is. He even hangs out with Mara's brother sometime.

I also really liked how there was more about Mara's family heritage. The book is intertwined with many flashbacks, though many aren't even Mara's. Then there's the whole doll thing... it's so creepy! I thought that the first book was creepy, but this one is even creepier. I even thought that some of the flashbacks were a little scary! I was kind of like, "Wait, WHAT?"

I'm definitely a huge Michelle Hodkin fan. I can't wait to finally read The Retribution of Mara Dyer. If only the release date would come faster! If you've read book one, I highly suggest starting book two. Same with if you haven't even started this series... start it!

Recommended for fans of:Unwind by Neal Shusterman
Creepy Stories
Wither by Lauren DeStefano

Memorable Quotes:

"The people we care about are always worth more to us than the people we don't. No matter what anyone pretends."

"Well, schmear my bagel, if it isn't Mara Dyer."

"My father might be right. If I lost Noah, I might just lose my mind."

Rating:

Have you read this novel? I'd love to hear your thoughts!

3 comments:

  1. I loved the crazy ending for book one and that's the number one reason why I wanted to continue with the series. Thanks for reminding me that I need to put this on hold!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with everything you said! Mara Dyer is such an addicting and crazy read. I felt so bad for Mara when her parents wouldn't even believe her and I loved that Noah supported Mara not matter what. That's the kind of guy I need. I can't wait to read the last book. I will be epic. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fantastic. This book was very mind twisting. The good kind. Yes this is a very wonderful book and I highly recommend.

    Zaira Lynn (Skagway Fishing Charter)

    ReplyDelete

Hello there! (: Thanks so much for taking the time to comment. I read each and every one!