Saturday, March 23, 2013

Book Review: Beautiful Creatures by Kami Garcia & Margaret Stohl

Title: Beautiful Creatures
Author: Kami Garcia & Margaret Stohl
Publisher: Little, Brown Books for Young Readers
Release Date: December 1, 2009
Source: Purchased
Edition: Paperback (563 pages)
Genre: YA Paranormal
Cover Review: This cover is absolutely beautiful. Though it is very simple, the title art is amazing.
Tagline: N/A
Series: Caster Chronicles #1
Main Character: Lena Duchannes


There were no surprises in Gatlin County.
We were pretty much the epicenter of the middle of nowhere.
At least, that's what I thought.
Turns out, I couldn't have been more wrong.
There was a curse.
There was a girl.
And in the end, there was a grave.
Lena Duchannes is unlike anyone the small Southern town of Gatlin has ever seen, and she's struggling to conceal her power and a curse that has haunted her family for generations. But even within the overgrown gardens, murky swamps and crumbling graveyards of the forgotten South, a secret cannot stay hidden forever.

Ethan Wate, who has been counting the months until he can escape from Gatlin, is haunted by dreams of a beautiful girl he has never met. When Lena moves into the town's oldest and most infamous plantation, Ethan is inexplicably drawn to her and determined to uncover the connection between them.

In a town with no surprises, one secret could change everything.
 
Beautiful Creatures was a book that I never saw coming. I'd seen it around a lot, but I never thought about picking it up until I heard that there was a movie coming out... and I saw the trailer. I immediately knew that I had to check it out. I also heard that it took place in the south and it just really intrigued me.

The magic in this story was really amazing. Some of the stuff that went on was really original. I especially loved Macon's house; how it always was styled differently whenever Ethan went to Lena's house. Ethan was such a great character. It was really cool because paranormal stories are always told through the eyes of the girl, and this time it was the boy. Another thing that was totally original! I also thought it was interesting how both Ethan and Lena had dreams about each other before they even met. It was kind of creepy but it was really interesting.

I really liked how music was incorporated throughout the novel. Ethan started listening to his ipod one day and he heard this song called "Sixteen Candles". He was really confused as to how it got onto his ipod and he even asked his friend Link, though he had no clue where it came from. Even the last page of the novel incorporated music...

Lena was really cool. The whole "you don't know if you're good or bad until your sixteenth birthday" thing was really interesting, even if it only ran in the Duchanne's family. I also liked how Lena was so original and she wasn't scared to be the way she was. She dressed so differently than everyone else and she didn't seem to mind at all. I mean, she did get payback a few times...

After reading this book, I was really pumped up to see the movie, though my movie theater stopped playing it after two weeks, so I never go to. Therefore I'm going to have to wait until it comes out on DVD before I can actually review the movie. The characters in this book were really great, especially Ridley. I think she might have been my favorite since she was kind of close to Lena at one point. I definitely can't wait to read Beautiful Darkness... especially with the cliffhanger ending! It was completely unbelievable!!

Recommended for fans of:
Obsidian by Jennifer L. Armentrout
Twilight by Stephanie Meyer

Notable Quotes:

"There was a curse. There was a girl. And in the end, there was a grave. I never even saw it coming."

"The right thing and the easy thing are never the same."

"I never loved you any more than I do, right this second. And I'll never love you any less that I do, right this second."

Rating:
 
Have you read this novel? I'd love to hear your thoughts!

5 comments:

  1. This series is just about at the top of my 'best ever' list. I've read it, listened to it on cd and read it again. Just do yourself a favour. When you see the movie - don't, I repeat don't, compare it to the book. If you do, you'll be disappointed because they change a whole heck of stuff in it. If you disassociate from the book, the movie is fine. It's the sort of movie that people love - if they haven't read the book, but the book lovers generally hate it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really enjoyed the book until the end. I will however, continue on with the Series.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I got about half way through and got distracted by something shiny I think. It is high on my TBR pile and I still have yet to see the movie, but what I had read so far I liked. Hopefully I will get to it sooner than later.
    Tammy @ Bo's Book Nook

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally agree that the title art makes this simple cover so much more. I'm so glad you picked up this great series! I also thought that it was interesting to have the story told in Ethan's POV, but over the series I've realized that I really enjoy his POV. Nice review!

      Delete
  4. Gah! I'm so happy you finally read it! Nice to see a non-dystopian book review coming from you. Hope you get the chance to see the movie. It was meh but at least you get to see the characters come alive. Have fun reading the rest of the series. :)

    ReplyDelete

Hello there! (: Thanks so much for taking the time to comment. I read each and every one!