Sunday, February 10, 2013

Downright Discussions: Book to Movie Adaptations

This week I decided to talk about book to movie adaptations, mostly because some people love them while others feel the complete opposite. There are many positive and negative feelings that one has when they find that their favorite book is going to become a movie. Mostly, "Will it stay true to the book?" or "Is anything going to change drastically from the book?" I think we should have a look at some of the positive and negative sides to a movie based off of a book.

Positive
  • All the Characters are Still in the Movie
  • You get to see the characters come to life!
  • Most of the settings are the same
  • You hear some exact quotes from the book
  • Costumes and details are exactly like the book! Or as close as they can be...

Negative
  • The movie is too short.
  • A character is cut out of the movie ENTIRELY
  • The entire plot changed.
  • The best scene was missing from the movie.

I personally like book to movie adaptations. It does bother me when the movie is too short or when characters are cut, but if the rest of the movie makes up for it, it doesn't bother me as much.


How do you feel about book to movie adaptations? 

6 comments:

  1. I love book to movie adaptations. I tend to see them as two entirely different things...and am therefore not disappointed if they're not completely true to the novel. I agree with all your pros and cons, though.

    I'm one of those people who obsesses over novels and movies, so it just makes it easier for me to LOVE PEETA when theres Josh Hutcherson pics everywhere. teehee.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great discussion topic!! I have a real love hate relationship with book to movie adaptations. Usually the movie version disappoints me and I end up leaving feeling like they let my book down. For example I loved the first two Harry Potter, but really felt let down with the rest. Granted they did redeem themselves with the last two. But by then it was too late. And in Twilight, don't even get me started!! I had so many problems with the movies it wasn't even funny.

    However I do think they can get it right, but I think the producer has to care about keeping the integrity of the story. I hate it when they leave out important details. Now saying all that I still watch them because of course I am curious to see what they get right and what they screw up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love book to movie adaptions. Sometimes, like I Am Number Four, for instance, I never even KNEW it was book until all bleep went loose about the movie and I just HAD to see what the hoopla's about.
    Of course... there are times where they change the character way overboard, like The Hunger Games. >_<

    ~Sophia @ Bookwyrming Thoughts

    ReplyDelete
  4. I generally enjoy them but I always take it on a case by case basis. Almost always the book is better but sometimes it's tricky (say The Princess Bride).

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am almost always disappointed by book to movie adaptations as they almost never as good as the book. I enjoy the ones that are either true to the book or take a new angle on the book without ruining it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It depends on the book for me. If it was one of those books I loved so mu that a year after I am still thinking about the characters from time to time, then I usually don't enjoy the movie. but I i can separate in my mind that the book and the movie are two different things all together. I can enjoy an adaptation.

    ReplyDelete

Hello there! (: Thanks so much for taking the time to comment. I read each and every one!