Friday, February 22, 2013

Book Review: Warm Bodies by Isaac Marion

Title: Warm Bodies
Author: Isaac Marion
Publisher: Atria/Emily Bestler Books
Release Date: October 28, 2010
Source: Purchased
Edition: Paperback (241 pages)
Genre: Dystopian/Zombies
Cover Review: I think this cover is kind of funny. I don't know why, but I'm a big fan of movie covers.
Tagline: N/A
Series: N/A
Main Character: R
Now a major motion picture from Summit Entertainment, the studio behind the blockbuster Twilight series and the upcoming movie Insurgent, starring Academy Award Nominee John Malkovich, Nicholas Hoult, and Teresa Palmer and directed by Jonathan Levine. R is having a no-life crisis—he is a zombie. He has no memories, no identity, and no pulse, but he is a little different from his fellow Dead. He may occasionally eat people, but he’d rather be riding abandoned airport escalators, listening to Sinatra in the cozy 747 he calls home, or collecting souvenirs from the ruins of civilization.

And then he meets a girl.

First as his captive, then his reluctant guest, Julie is a blast of living color in R’s gray landscape, and something inside him begins to bloom. He doesn’t want to eat this girl—although she looks delicious—he wants to protect her. But their unlikely bond will cause ripples they can’t imagine, and their hopeless world won’t change without a fight.
Warm Bodies by Isaac Marion takes place in a future where a disease has caused zombies to form. Our main character, R, happens to be one of these zombies, though he kind of feels bad when he eats people. He calls himself R because he can't remember the rest of his name. One day, while on a hunting trip, he sees a girl. After eating the girl's boyfriend, he falls in love with her. He kept some of his brain because when zombies eat brains they get to relive all of the person's memories, wihch is really interesting and unique.

Through eating the brain, he learns much more about the girl, Julie. He also learns a lot more about Perry, the boy whose brain he ate. Perry really played a big part in the story, as he and R kind of helped each other throughout different memories. After the hunting trip, R decides to try and save Julie. He brings her to his little airplane home. Julie really feels uncomfortable and she just wants to know what is up with R. Zombies don't usually take in a human as one of their own.

R was extremely interesting. He had so much more feelings than a zombie should have. R was extremely funny and I loved his narration. He also always had the right thing to say at the right time. I absolutely loved his crush that he had on Julie. It was really cute!

Julie was an amazing character. She's probably one of my new favorites. Julie is really strong and brave. If I was put in her position, I probably wouldn't have lived through it. She was at a zombie madhouse and yet she trusted R after a while. Props to her!
Warm Bodies was action-packed and it was really funny. You may think that this book is just a gory zombie book, though it's so much more than that. It is kind of like a futuristic love story with funniness. The characters are really lovable. I also really loved the movie cover, so I just had to buy it! If you haven't read this book, I definitely suggest it. I also suggest reading the book before you see the movie. The movie was just as good as the book! Another thing that I really enjoyed about this book was some of the quotes. There were some really great quotes about life.

Rating:

Recommended for fans of:
Romantic Comedy
Zombies
Humour

Notable Quotes:

"You should always be taking pictures, if not with a camera then with your mind. Memories you capture on purpose are always more vivid than the ones you pick up by accident."
"We are where we are, however we got here. What matters is where we go next."
Have you read this book? I'd love to hear your thoughts!

3 comments:

  1. Great review! I've been thinking about reading it because I saw the movie (before I knew it was a book). The things is zombies terrify me and even though the movie was funny I was still scared the entire time so I'm not sure how reading a zombie book would go.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great review. I thought R was awesome, and so was Julie. I can't wait to see the movie too.


    Jenea @ Books Live Forever

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVED this book. I reviewed it a while back too. Isaac Marion has a very eloquent way to writing a zombie tale. I love his brilliance! I still haven't seen the movie and I'm kind of ticked about that. lol

    ReplyDelete

Hello there! (: Thanks so much for taking the time to comment. I read each and every one!