Friday, February 8, 2013

Book Review: Reached by Ally Condie

Note: This book is the last book of a trilogy. My review of book one, Matched,
can be found here. My review of book two, Crossed, can be found here.

Title: Reached
Author: Ally Condie
Publisher: Penguin
Release Date: November 13, 2012
Source: Gifted
Edition: Hardcover (512 pages)
Genre: YA Dystopian/Science Fiction
Cover Review: I believe that this series has some of the best covers. On this cover, Cassia is finally breaking out.
Tag Line: N/A
Series: Matched #3
Main Characters: Cassia Reyes, Ky Markham, and Xander Carrow

After leaving Society to desperately seek The Rising, and each other, Cassia and Ky have found what they were looking for, but at the cost of losing each other yet again. Cassia is assigned undercover in Central city, Ky outside the borders, an airship pilot with Indie. Xander is a medic, with a secret. All too soon, everything shifts again.
Reached by Ally Condie was definitely a roller coaster. Since it's the last book in the series, I think it's best for me not to give anything away, so I'm only giving the synopsis from the book. So much happened that I really didn't expect at all. Seriously, the stuff that happened isn't even mentioned in the synopsis. That's just one of the many things that make this book amazing.

This book is told with mulitple point of views. We finally get to see the world through Xander's eyes! I always wondered what it would be like to see the world through his eyes. We also get a closer look at his feelings and everything with Cassia and Ky. Cassia has definitely changed and grown as a character since the first book. She is so much stronger now. She can stand up for herself and she doesn't care if she gets in trouble for it, because she knows that she will be okay in the end.

Ky is probably still my favorite character in the series. He is the best character because he has a history that is unknown and different from everyone else's. We also get a deeper look into that during this book. I definitely think that this was the best ending that Condie could have given us. Everything was wrapped up rather nicely. The Matched trilogy will always have a place in my heart as a favorite, and I'll definitely purchase any of Condie's books if she writes anything else.
Rating:

Recommended for fans of:
The Selection by Kiera Cass
The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins
Anna and the French Kiss by Stephanie Perkins
The Maze Runner by James Dashner

Notable Quotes:
"In a story, you can turn to the front and begin again and everyone lives once more. That doesn't work in real life."
"If you let hope inside, it takes you over. It feeds on your insides and uses your bones to climb and grow. Eventually it becomes the thing that is your bones, that holds you together. Holds you up until you don't know how to live without it anymore. To pull it out of you would kill you entirely."
Have you read this novel? I'd love to hear your thoughts!

4 comments:

  1. I've only skimmed your review because I'm so wanting to read this and I don't want to know what is happening. It is enough to know you think it is amazing! I can't wait!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Actually, this was one of the first books I finished this year and even though I love Condie's writing style and I totally agree when you say you'll pick up anything else she writes I thought that Reached really lacked plot and action. Different from most people, I still really loved Crossed but from the last installment of this trilogy I just expected a little bit more...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad to hear you liked it!! I recently listened to the audiobook of Matched. I'm definitely eager to continue on with the series. And the covers are just so beautiful. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I felt the first two book in the series moved at a much quicker pace. I actually put myself to sleep several times while reading. Had a few good moments, but not enough to save the book :(

    Marlene Detierro (H1 Parts)

    ReplyDelete

Hello there! (: Thanks so much for taking the time to comment. I read each and every one!