Monday, February 25, 2013

Book Review: Pandemonium by Lauren Oliver

Note: This book is a sequel. Book 1 is titled Delirium.

Title: Pandemonium
Author: Lauren Oliver
Publisher: HarperCollins Children's Books
Release Date: February 28, 2012
Source: Purchased
Edition: Hardcover (375 pages)
Genre: YA Dystopian
Cover Review: I really like how each cover in this series has it's own color scheme. I love the orange and the yellow!
Tag Line: N/A
Series: Delirium #2
Main Character: Lena


I'm pushing aside the memory of my nightmare,
pushing aside thoughts of Alex,
pushing aside thoughts of Hana and my old school,
push,
push,
push,
like Raven taught me to do.
The old life is dead.
But the old Lena is dead too.
I buried her.
I left her beyond a fence,
behind a wall of smoke and flame.
Lauren Oliver delivers an electrifying follow-up to her acclaimed New York Times bestseller, Delirium. This riveting, brilliant novel crackles with the fire of fierce defiance, forbidden romance, and the sparks of a revolution about to ignite.

In Pandemonium, we follow Lena in both then and now. After deciding that she doesn't want to get the cure, she has to go undercover during now. She has to pretend to be a student at school and she goes to a huge meeting against the uncureds. She ends up getting caught with the very person that she has been told to keep a close eye on-Julien. Julien is the son of the mastermind behind the no uncureds campaign. He has a sickness, and he was told that he could possibly die if he gets the procedure. Because of who his father is, he decides that it's the right thing to do anyway. After getting caught, Julien and Lena grow pretty close together, though they both have their secrets.

During then, we follow Lena as she tries to find a camp after escaping the city. She ends up in a village where a girl named Raven is in charge. Raven is really strong and she decides to take Lena in as long as she works for it. After something happens in the village, the story goes on as Raven, Lena, and the others escape and try to survive.

Lena really grew on me with this book. In the first book, she revolved as a character a lot. It's even more true with Pandemonium. Lena has changed from the goody-two-shoes who follows the rules into a girl who is willing to do what she needs in order to survive and get by. She is much stronger as well. She no longer relies on Alex, as we have no clue where in the world he is. We can definitely see the change in attitude that Lena has between then and now.

Julien was a great side character. He had quite a background and we found that we definitely shouldn't judge a book by its cover. He was really sweet though he had his reservations. I felt really bad for him because of who his father was. I mean, he got in trouble for reading books! That just shouldn't happen.

Pandemonium was even better than Delirium. It was much more action-packed and it wasn't as sweet and bubbly as the first book was. It was more of an adventurous novel, like most dystopians are. I highly suggest picking it up if you have or haven't read the first one. I also loved how Lauren wrote with both Then and Now. We got to see her a few months later (now) and how she came to find Raven and the crew (then). Plus, the ending was just crazy! I can't wait for Requiem.

Rating:
Recommended for fans of:
The Maze Runner by James Dashner
The Selection by Kiera Cass
Love Triangles

Notable Quotes:
"Sometimes I feel like if you just watch things, just sit still and let the world exist in front of you-sometimes I swear that just for a second time freezes and the world pauses in its tilt. Just for a second. And if you somehow found a way to live in that second, then you would live forever."

Have you read this novel? I'd love to hear your thoughts!

3 comments:

  1. Totally agree!! I felt as if Lena really grew as a character is this one, she had some serious girl power going on :D Also, the action factor was something I really liked and Pandemonium was really on a complete different that Delirium. As for Julian I kind of had mixed feelings for him. Sometimes I found him way too annoying and too dependent on Lena but other times he was just so sweet. The cliffhanger was insane as you said, makes me want to have Requiem already :D Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lauren Oliver's writing is beautiful. It is indeed poetry.

    I have read many novels, especially dystopian ones, and the beautiful quality of Oliver's words are really rare these days. Incomparable with many novels out there. She does not merely express the plot, she uses words in her own way and expresses the beauty that writing could have. I hope I'm doing her justice. (keep in mind that this is not the first books of the series).

    Marlene Detierro (Alaska Fishing Lodge)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pandemonium was amazing, but Requiem wasn't up to my expectations.
    Read my review here:
    http://geekie-chic.blogspot.in/2014/01/pandemonium-and-requiem-delirium.html

    ReplyDelete

Hello there! (: Thanks so much for taking the time to comment. I read each and every one!