Monday, February 18, 2013

Book Review: A Million Suns by Beth Revis

Title: A Million Suns
Author: Beth Revis
Publisher: Razorbill
Release Date: January 10, 2012
Source: Purchased
Edition: Hardcover (386 pages)
Genre: YA Science Fiction/Dystopian
Cover Review: Another gorgeous cover from Ms. Beth Revis! I love this one even more than the first. Again, is that Amy and Elder that I see?
Tagline: N/A
Series: Across the Universe #2
Main Character: Amy Martin and Elder

Godspeed was once fueled by lies. Now it is ruled by chaos.It’s been three months since Amy was unplugged. The life she always knew is over. Everywhere she looks, she sees the walls of the spaceship Godspeed.

But there may be hope: Elder has assumed leadership of the ship. He's finally free to act on his vision—no more Phydus, no more lies.

But when Elder learns shocking news about the ship, he and Amy race to discover the truth behind life on Godspeed. They must work together to unlock a mystery that was set in motion hundreds of years earlier. Their success—or failure—will determine the fate of the 2,298 passengers aboard Godspeed. But with each step, the journey becomes more perilous, the ship more chaotic, and the love between them more impossible to fight.

Beth Revis catapulted readers into the far reaches of space with her New York Times bestselling debut, Across the Universe. In A Million Suns, Beth deepens the mystery with action, suspense, romance, and deep philosophical questions. And this time it all builds to one mind-bending conclusion: They have to get off this ship.
A Million Suns picks up right where Across the Universe left off, though it is a few months later. Many things have happened during those three months. Elder has decided to become the leader, though he refuses to take the title Eldest. He thinks that everyone will still listen to him if he still holds the name that he has had his whole life. Elder also decided to take everyone off of Phydus, as he thought it was only right to let everyone actually think for themselves. He never thought that it could get out of hands. After people are off Phydus, I don't know if they would ever consider going back on.

One day Amy finds something. She has no clue what it is, though she asks Elder about it. It appears to be a video message. She finally watches it. It happens to be a video made by Orion. During the video, he tells her that everything lies in her hands; that only she can make the final decision. Amy has no idea what this means, though she repeatedly finds clues that lead her to the next videos. As the story goes on, Elder must learn to control the ship while Amy has to find out what it is exactly that Orion wants her to do.

Amy was the same as she was in the first book, though she has learned to protect herself from others. She wraps her hair up with a scarf before she goes out so that nobody will knkow that it is her. It's pretty sad that she had to resort to that. I mean, she's just a person, ya know? She did get a little on my nerves though when she showed the video to Eldest. I thought she wasn't supposed to show it to anyone? I mean, I would probably still show it to someone too, because I probably couldn't keep a secret that big. Amy also kind of pushed Elder away a lot in this book. If she pushes Elder away, I don't think she's going to have any friends left.

Elder really surprised me in A Million Suns. He seemed a lot more confident and sure of what he was doing, though there was still some sort of rebellion going on. He tried his best to do everything he could. I still believe that he made the right decision: taking everyone off of Phydus. Otherwise, he wouldn't really be ruling people; he'd be ruling mindless zombies that don't think for themselves.

This book was definitely better than Across the Universe, if that is even possible. Beth Revis completely blew me away and I was hooked for the entire ride. In other words: It was frexing heart-pounding and amazing! Oh yeah, that is another thing. I love the way they talk. They have their own words that they use in Godspeed, and it amuses me when Amy says something and everyone seems to be confused.

Orion really grew on me in this book. He's probably one of my favorite characters now in the story. He really knew way more than he let on, and I appreciated that he left many clues for Amy to decipher, knowing that she would have to make the final decision. I also thought it was kind of interesting how Elder really agreed with Orion but he never really said anything about it. I mean, they are exact clones of each other, but still. I didn't know that they would think alike as well! I'm super excited to read Shades of Earth. First, I must go buy myself a copy...

Rating:
Notable Quotes:
"Love without choice isn't love at all."
"And here we are, in the middle, surrounded by a sea of stars. A million suns. Any of them could hold a planet. Any of them could hold a home. But all of them are out of reach."
"People are, at their heart, constantly moving toward a state of entropy. We're all spiraling out of control."
"Well, sometimes home is a person."

Have you read this book? I'd love to hear your thoughts!

5 comments:

  1. I loved this book too. I think Beth Revis is amazing. Good review.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't read Across the Universe yet but I really need to! Glad you liked the sequel just as much as the first, that makes me even more excited to read the series!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I liked this better than Across the Universe as well but I still didn't enjoy it as much as I thought I would. Especially considering I love books like Cinder and Glow.

    Marlene Detierro (H1 Accessories )

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've been wanting to read this series for a while now. I just keep reading such amazing reviews of it, and really think it's one I'd enjoy.

    Air Conditioning Dallas Service

    ReplyDelete

Hello there! (: Thanks so much for taking the time to comment. I read each and every one!