Friday, February 1, 2013

Book Review: Gravity by Melissa West

Title: Gravity
Author: Melissa West
Publisher: Entangled Teen
Release Date: December 18, 2012
Source: Purchased
Edition: Paperback (284 pages)
Genre: YA Dystopian/Science Fiction
Cover Review: I think this cover is very pretty. It's even better in real life!
Tagline: Don't. Ever. Peek.
Series: The Taking #1
Main Character: Ari Alexander
 
In the future, only one rule will matter:

Don’t. Ever. Peek.

Seventeen-year-old Ari Alexander just broke that rule and saw the last person she expected hovering above her bed — arrogant Jackson Locke, the most popular boy in her school. She expects instant execution or some kind of freak alien punishment, but instead, Jackson issues a challenge: help him, or everyone on Earth will die.

Ari knows she should report him, but everything about Jackson makes her question what she’s been taught about his kind. And against her instincts, she’s falling for him. But Ari isn’t just any girl, and Jackson wants more than her attention. She’s a military legacy who’s been trained by her father and exposed to war strategies and societal information no one can know — especially an alien spy, like Jackson. Giving Jackson the information he needs will betray her father and her country, but keeping silent will start a war.
Gravity takes place in a world where aliens exist. These aliens are called Ancients. Every night, one puts on a head device that covers one's eyes. Then one's Ancient comes and does "The Taking". The Taking is an event that helps the Ancients get the nutrients that they need in order to survive. Our main character, Ari, happens to be the daughter of a top commander. Therefore, it's only her destiny to become just as amazing as he. One night, Ari loses her head device. She decides that she can get away with not putting it on as long as she closes her eyes. So she tries it. She ends up peeking and Ari finds out who her Ancient is. It happens to be Jackson-her toughest competition at school. He's been training every day just like Ari to become a commander.

Another thing: Ancients aren't supposed to be on Earth in the first place. They are supposed to travel back through their portal and go back to their own planet. Only, Jackson doesn't. He goes to school everday. Jackson tries to get Ali to not say anything about it. He also tells her that he desperately needs her help because it could be the end of the world as they know it. What would you do in a situation like this? Ali's choice is to do what's right or take her chances with Jackson.
 
Ari was a really nice character. She had to make some pretty big decisions, though I think she chose right. I really enjoyed learning everything that she didn't know along with her. Jackson was probably my favorite character. For some reason, I always like the guy character better. I have no clue why! Anyway, Jackson had a really interesting story to tell. He was an Ancient, though Ari has no clue about Jackson's background. She definitely doesn't tell him everything. I think that he was very admirable as well.
 
Gravity was definitely an enjoyable book. I absolutely loved guessing what was going to happen and finding out if I was right. I few times, I was actually looking at the book and I was gasping because I couldn't believe that I had guessed right. My favorite thing about the book would probably have to be the world. The world is very unique; it's definitely unlike anything that I've ever read before. The Ancients and the secrets and the lies... it was so good! I can't wait to read the sequel by Melissa West.
 
Rating:


Recommended to fans of:
I Am Number Four by Pittacus Lore
Obsidian by Jennifer L. Armentrout

Have you read this novel? I'd love to hear your thoughts!

6 comments:

  1. I'm amazed, I have to admit. Rarely do I encounter a blog that's both educative and engaging, and without a doubt, you've hit the nail on the head. The problem is something which too few men and women are speaking intelligently about. Now i'm very happy I found this in my search for something concerning this.
    my page - Titanium Engagement Rings

    ReplyDelete
  2. Been wanting to read this for a while.. It was the cover that first caught my eye, and the idea of aliens ~ a topic that is so underdone.. Love Jennifer Armentrout, so I'll be checking this one out for sure.. Great review!!

    Keely @ Realms of an Open Mind

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds like a really interesting and good read. I love the cover for this book. It's absolutely beautiful. Great review! :)

    Halee @ Confessions of a Book Addict

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ohh this has definitely piqued my interest for this book! You made it sound really good, I'm definitely bumping this on my list ;) Thanks for the review!

    ~Jay
    We Fancy Books

    ReplyDelete
  5. Having read this I believed it was extremely enlightening.
    I appreciate you finding the time and effort to put this article together.
    I once again find myself personally spending a significant amount of time both reading and leaving comments.

    But so what, it was still worthwhile!
    Also visit my blog post ; foto geld verdienen

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi, i feel that i saw you visited my blog thus i got
    here to go back the choose?.I am attempting to find things
    to improve my site!I assume its ok to use a few of your concepts!
    !
    Have a look at my web-site - real money roulette online

    ReplyDelete

Hello there! (: Thanks so much for taking the time to comment. I read each and every one!