Monday, February 11, 2013

Book Review: Across the Universe by Beth Revis

Title: Across the Universe
Author: Beth Revis
Publisher: Razorbill
Release Date: January 11, 2011
Source: Purchased
Edition: Hardcover (398 pages)
Genre: YA Science Fiction/Dystopian
Cover Review: I absolutely love the colors in this cover! They're so gorgeous! Plus, is that Amy and Elder I see?
Tagline: What does it take to survive on a spaceship fueled by lies?
Series: Across the Universe #1
Main Characters: Amy Martin & Elder

A love out of time. A spaceship built of secrets and murder. Seventeen-year-old Amy joins her parents as frozen cargo aboard the vast spaceship Godspeed and expects to awaken on a new planet, three hundred years in the future. Never could she have known that her frozen slumber would come to an end fifty years too soon and that she would be thrust into the brave new world of a spaceship that lives by its own rules.

Amy quickly realizes that her awakening was no mere computer malfunction. Someone-one of the few thousand inhabitants of the spaceship-tried to kill her. And if Amy doesn't do something soon, her parents will be next.

Now Amy must race to unlock Godspeed's hidden secrets. But out of her list of murder suspects, there's only one who matters: Elder, the future leader of the ship and the love she could never have seen coming.
Across the Universe takes place on a spaceship in the far future. Our main protagonist, Amy, boards the ship because her parents were a big part of the mission. If she didn't she would have to live the rest of her life with no parents. In order to go on the ship and go to the new planet, Amy and her parents must be frozen with tubes shoved down their throats in cryo chambers. I couldn't imagine having to go through that. Amy kept saying that she felt as if she was going to drown and she constantly wanted to puke. Plus, she kept going in and out of dreams, never knowing what year it was or how close she was to the new Earth.

One day, Amy finally wakes up. She almost drowns because she still has the tubes shoved down her throat and nobody is around. When she is finally taken out of her cryo chamber, she meets a guy named Elder, who happens to be the future leader. He is to be the next Eldest. He has no clue who his parents are, as Eldests are not allowed to know, since it is part of tradition. As time goes on, more and more people are pulled out of their cryo chambers. A few even die. Amy and Elder have to get to the bottom of it before it's too late. They must find out who is doing this and why.

Amy, one of the main characters, was very confused and curious. I would definitely be the same way. Life is so much different on the ship compared to the way it is on Earth. Amy was very bubbly and she was one of the only few people that were actually normalish. I felt really bad for her at times because everyone thought that she was weird just because of her hair and skin color. They constantly called her "freak". I really don't think that they should be saying anything, as they were more freakish than she could ever be.

Elder was absolutely in love with Amy because of her red hair. Most people on the ship all look the same because that is what happens after mating and reproducing after many years with the same people on the ship. Elder was meant to be the next ruler of the ship, though he didn't even know everything about it yet. Eldest was keeping way too many secrets from him.

Eldest was overly annoying. He kept way too many things from Elder, and he was always in the way. He was also keeping way too many secrets. Eldest was constantly getting on my nerves, though he is probably one of my favorite villains. Harley was a very interesting character. I enjoyed how he was an artist, as it seemed that there were not very many on Godspeed. He was considered different just because of his talent. Orion was an okay character. I really liked him in the beginning, though he got a little annoying towards the end. I do really like his name though. O-R-I-O-N.

Though this was a reread, I hadn't read it since last year. I completely forgot what had happened and I was instantly tangled up in all the secrets and lies aboard Godspeed. This book was full of so much mystery. I was constantly filpping the pages because I was just so intrigued. There were so many lies and things that we didn't know. It was like watching television but you were actually reading. I can't wait until I finally get the chance to read A Million Suns. Beth Revis is definitely one of my favorite authors.

Rating:
Recommended to fans of:
Glow by Amy Kathleen Ryan
Outer Space
Mysteries

Notable Quotes:
"Power isn't control at all-power is strength, and giving that strength to others. A leader isn't someone who forces others to make him stronger; a leader is someone willing to give his strength to others so that they may have the strength to stand on their own."

"Dreams are like that: they go in and out of memories and scenes, but they are never real. They're never real, and I hate them because they aren't."

Have you read this book? I'd love to hear your thoughts!

6 comments:

  1. I would have never called myself a sic-fi fan, but I'm finding myself drawn to the genre more and more. This one in particular sounds fabulous! Thanks for the review :)

    Happy Reading :)

    Keely @ Realms of an Open Mind

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm planning to reread the whole series soon. It's one of my favorite YA series and I died a bit after I read the last book :)

    And as Keely Anne pointed out-I barely read any sci-fi before AtU but now I can't get enough.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really want to complete this series but I think I'll need to do a reread of book 1 as it's been a long time since I've read it and I wrote an awful "review" of it. I don't remember many things and I want to give this series its full due!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful review. This is a series I will definitely be checking out in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awesome review! I still can't believe I haven't read this one yet being that I do love sci-fi. Your review made me all the more eager to check it out :) Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm just dying to read this one and your review doesn't help that. lol. I'm so glad to see you loved this one and thanks for the review. :D

    Marlene Detierro (Indianapolis Local SEO)

    ReplyDelete

Hello there! (: Thanks so much for taking the time to comment. I read each and every one!