Sunday, January 27, 2013

Downright Discussion: Hard Copies vs. E-Copies

This week's topic is brought to you by Catherine @ The Book Parade.   You should definitely take a look at her blog!
I feel like this is one of the biggest and most popular discussions out there, right next to love triangles. So, let's look at the highs and lows of hard copies and e-books, eh?

Hard Copies
Pros: I feel like when reading a hard copy, I'm actually getting something out of it. I understand more.
The book can sit and look pretty on your shelf.
You can actually touch it and feel it.
Cons: Books can take up a lot of space. Trust me, I'd know.

E-Copies
Pros: You can have tons of copies of these and they barely take up any space.
They are cheaper... plus there is always great deals.
Cons: You can't actually touch the book... just the screen.
I've tried reading e-copies on my iPod, and I barely get anything out of them, because I feel as if I'm just reading from a computer.

My Final Verdict:
I can't stand e-copies. I don't have an e-reader and I definitely don't want to try to read on either my iPod or the computer. I don't ever get anything out of it. Hardcopies make me happy and I love to rearrange how they look on my shelf. Plus, I can sit and just hold or hug the book because of its awesomeness. I can't just hug a computer.

What do you think?

6 comments:

  1. I absolutely agree with Catherine. On a e-reader I can’t stick my finger under the next page or flip through the pages to see how much I have left in a chapter. Plus, physical books collect records of reading love, like when the spine starts to crack or the corners of the cover start to bend. I like to keep the stories I read. I have bookshelves lining the walls of my bedroom, and it feels like my favorite characters are keeping me company. Physical copies all the way!

    Pica @ Pica Reads

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do love physical books so I understand what you mean. But I do own a Nook tablet (which I bought mainly for reading). I've read a lot of books I wouldn't have read, it's easier to get them. I used to look at books' covers and titles when choosing which one to buy so it was hard for me to find books to read. But if I really like the book (since I like to reread books) I do look for the physical copy.
    I like having bookshelves filled with my favorite series and single books arranged by color and author. I want to have a library in my house someday.

    Rivie @ Bookshelf

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love both (and read a lot of both) but reading a paper copy has more solidity to me. I remember details so much better than on an e-copy despite its many conveniences.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love physically holding a book and just feeling the weight of it shift in my hands as I approach the end. Also, I have a terrible memory when it comes to details so I am constantly flipping back and forth in books which is a pain to do on an e-reader. So hard copies all the way!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Whenever I can,paper. But as an international blogger I rely on egalleys and I don't hate ebooks as I used to.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love, love, love handling an actual book, it beats reading on my Kindle any day. Having said that, ereaders are quite handy, particularly for someone who communtes a fair bit, like I do. I don't get a lot of use of my Kindle, but I'm glad I received it as a present. Ink and paper can never be replaced though.

    ReplyDelete

Hello there! (: Thanks so much for taking the time to comment. I read each and every one!