Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Book Review: The Prey by Andrew Fukuda

Title: The Prey
Author: Andrew Fukuda
Publisher: St. Martin's Press
Release Date: January 29, 2013
Source: Publisher for Review
Edition: Hardcover (304 pages)
Genre: YA Dystopian/Vampire Apocalypse
Cover Review: I love this cover... a lot. Blue is my favorite cover color and I love the cover redesign!
Tagline: N/A
Series: The Hunt #2
Main Character: Gene

For Gene and the remaining humans—or hepers—death is just a heartbeat away. On the run and hunted by society, they must find a way to survive in The Vast... and avoid the hungry predators tracking them in the dark. But they’re not the only things following Gene. He’s haunted by the girl he left behind and his burgeoning feelings for Sissy, the human girl at his side.

When they discover a refuge of exiled humans living high in the mountains, Gene and his friends think they’re finally safe. Led by a group of intensely secretive elders, the civilisation begins to raise more questions than answers. A strict code of behaviour is the rule, harsh punishments are meted out, young men are nowhere to be found—and Gene begins to wonder if the world they’ve entered is just as evil as the one they left behind. As life at the refuge grows more perilous, he and Sissy only grow closer. In an increasingly violent world, all they have is each other... if they can only stay alive.
 
The Prey begins with Gene trying to escape the coming vampires with Sissy and her pals. They are in a boat, just like the ending of The Hunt. As the group continues down the lake, they come up to a waterfall. Everyone isn't sure about what to do because of it. If they jump, they could possibly not make it. Same thing could happen if they go down the waterfall. In the end, they end up going down the waterfall.

After the crew goes down the waterfall, they end up finding a little cabin. While in the cabin, a young girl comes who asks Gene for "The Origin." Nobody has any clue what she is talking about, though the girl claims to be from a place called The Mission. The group decides to go with her, because they believe it could possibly be the Land of Milk and Honey, which is the land that the Scientist repeatedly told them about.

In The Mission, everything is strange. There are many girls and not many boys. When there are boys, they are much older. The girls also seem to all be pregnant and they seem to have very small feet. It's just not normal. Most of the guys don't notice it because they have never been swarmed and surrounded by so many girls before, so they don't really know what to do. Sissy sees it though, and so does Gene. The man in charge of The Mission doesn't seem to be normal either. He keeps telling Gene and his friends that they need to board the train, though he won't tell them where it leads to. Gene and the crew must find out why everything is strange in The Mission while finding many clues that they didn't see coming.

Again, as in The Hunt, I can't express how much I liked this book without talking about each character.

Gene was as awesome as ever. I'm definitely starting to see him as more of a hero-type figure. He's really beginning to get to the bottom of things. He's also starting to take charge in more than one case. Gene definitely has grown a lot since The Hunt, and I'm excited to see what happens to him in the next book.

Sissy really grew on me. In the beginning of the book, I was a little aggravated with her because I was a fan of Ashley June. That has definitely changed. Sissy is very strong and she is willing to do anything as long as she can protect the ones that she loves and cares for. That's all that matters to her. Sissy is also very good at figuring things out. She figured out quite a few things before Gene did, and I really admired that.

Epap kind of got on my nerves. Maybe it was because he was in love with Sissy and I wasn't exactly rooting for him. He grew on me though as well, just as Sissy did. He really can do more than stare at Sissy with puppy eyes.

The Elders kind of creeped me out. I mean, they were so much older than everyone else. Plus, there just seemed to be something off about them, just like the town and it's civilians.

The Prey was much better than The Hunt, and that is really saying something because The Hunt is definitely one of my favorite books. In The Prey, much more is revealed and a few times I found myself rereading because I had to make sure that what I read was correct. I absolutely couldn't put it down, to put it lightly. I felt as if this book also sort of had a mystery aspect as well, which I eagerly enjoyed. Another thing that was really enjoyable was the fact of romance not being the entire story. Don't get me wrong, I love romance in books, but I also love my adventure. Gene also learned a lot about himself and his family and I absolutely loved learning it with him.

If you haven't started reading this series as well, I highly suggest you do. It's definitely worth your time and much, much more. Fukuda has created a mysterious world where vampires rule and humans are almost extinct. How can that not intrigue you? The Prey is one of the best sequels out there and it definitely doesn't suffer from Second-Book Syndrome. The Prey kept me asking questions and I definitely can't wait to devour more.

Rating:

Recommended for fans of:
Vampires
Black City by Elizabeth Richards
The Maze Runner by James Dashner

Have you read this novel? I'd love to hear your thoughts!

Thank you to the publisher for letting me review this in exchange for an honest review!

2 comments:

  1. This looks fantastic!!! I'm having a giveaway, it would be super cool if you'd stop by! ( My Giveaway! )

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's great! I'm so excited for this one. Great review!

    ReplyDelete

Hello there! (: Thanks so much for taking the time to comment. I read each and every one!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...