Friday, January 25, 2013

Book Review: Glass Houses by Rachel Caine

Note: Since this book is a bindup for two different novels, I'm going to post each review seperately.

Title: Glass Houses
Author: Rachel Caine
Publisher: New American Library
Release Date: November 3, 2009
Source: Purchased
Edition: Paperback (222 out of 452)
Genre: YA Fantasy/Vampires
Cover Review: There isn't anything special about this cover, though I do like the blue.
Tagline: N/A
Series: Morganville Vampires #1
Main Character: Claire Danvers

Morganville is a small college town in the heart of Texas that has its share of quirky characters - and some evil ones too. When student Claire Danvers moves off campus into one of Morganville's oldest houses, she finds that her roommates don't show many signs of life. But they'll have Claire's back when the town's deepest secrets come crawling out, hungry for fresh blood.

In Morganville, vampires rule the town. You always have to be careful of what you say and what you do. You also don't want to make anyone angry-like Claire did. You don't know what kind of power they have or whether or not they have any strengths. After Claire is repeatedly bullied at college by a mean girl, she decides that it's about time to move out. Her parents don't want her to of course. She is only about 16... she is just really smart.

Claire finds this place called the glass house, and she decides to meet the residents. The residents are pretty nice, as nice as they can possibly be as a matter of fact. After Claire finally moves in with them, she finds that Morganville isn't exactly what she always thought it was.

I thought this book was okay. It was enjoyable and I didn't get bored much. I will probably be reading the next book, since this book was an omnibus. I'm not sure if I'll be picking up the rest though... it's a really long series. If the second book leaves me wanting more, then of course I will give in to the craving. The one thing that I really enjoyed about this book was the characters.

Claire, the main character of the story, is super smart. I found her parents to be kind of annoying, though I really loved how Claire always stood up for herself. Just because she is younger and she's in college doesn't mean that her parents should still dictate what she does. I think Claire and Shane would be perfect together.

Shane, one of the guys at Glass House, seems to always be looking out for Claire. He also tries to hold her back, but when she fights for what she wants, he goes along with it. Eve, the only other girl at Glass House, was really sweet. She was always helping Claire and I felt like she was always in the same place as Claire. Michael was one of my favorite characters. He has a big secret that Claire ends up finding out. He's just so interesting because we learn quite a lot about him in the past.

If you are looking for a fun read, then I suggest reading this story.

Rating:
Recommended for fans of:
Vampires
Richelle Mead

Have you read this novel? I'd love to hear your thoughts!

5 comments:

  1. I picked up this book because Rachel Caine went to the same university I did. :) I enjoyed it a lot but I'm from Texas and Morganville and the college there reminded me of home, so I had a connection there. I'm up to #7 in the series and in my opinion, they've gotten better with each book. Thanks for sharing your thoughts! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds like and fun/light read! Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for dropping by and commenting on my "Stacking The Shelves" post! This is a nice review. Too bad you thought the book was "just okay". I have the first six books of this series, and do want to read them, since I LOVE vamps (the Edward Cullen types)! Well, we'll see how it goes.... :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I tried reading this 2 years ago and well...i couldn't finish it :/ Apparently it gets MUCH better though! Like the most recent books are supposedly amazing<3 Great review Krystianna<3

    ReplyDelete
  5. I loved this book! I couldn't put it down. I am a bit wary towards the fact that the series is so long though. I hope it doesn't lose its meaning or plot as some super long series unfortunately do.

    fortheloveofbooksreviews.blogspot.ca

    ReplyDelete

Hello there! (: Thanks so much for taking the time to comment. I read each and every one!