Monday, January 28, 2013

Book Review: Delirium by Lauren Oliver

Title: Delirium
Author: Lauren Oliver
Publisher: HarperCollin's Children's Books
Release Date: February 1, 2011
Source: Purchased
Edition: Hardcover (441 pages)
Genre: YA Dystopian
Cover Review: The cover is alright. I do really enjoy the colors though.
Tag Line: N/A
Series: Delirium #1
Main Character: Lena Haloway

Ninety-five days, and then I’ll be safe.
I wonder whether the procedure will hurt.
I want to get it over with.
It’s hard to be patient.
It’s hard not to be afraid while I’m still uncured, though so far the deliria hasn’t touched me yet.
Still, I worry.
They say that in the old days, love drove people to madness.
The deadliest of all deadly things: It kills you both when you have it and when you don’t.
In Delirium by Lauren Oliver, we follow Lena who happens to live in a world where love is considered a disease. Since Lena was brought up in this world, she completely believes it. She tries to follow all the rules and always watches out for the signs of deliria nervosa. In this world, when one becomes of age, they are given the procedure, which makes them unable to love anymore. They are then given someone that they are to marry and they are told how many children they are to have. I know, crazy right?

Lena's older sister happened to have contracted deliria back when Lena was younger. Lena never wants it to happen to herself. This all changes when she meets Alex. Alex is a rebel who happens to be from the Wilds, the place outside of the caged in Society that Lena lives in. Alex has never had the cure, even though he has the mark that proves he did. According to him, he put the mark on himself. Will Lena be infected before it's too late?

WOAH. I read this book way back in the beginning of 2012, so I decided that it was about time to have a reread. It was still absolutely amazing. I absolutely loved Alex and everything that he stood for. I could go on rambling about characters for a long time, so I might as well just write a little about each.

Lena, our protagonist in Delirium, starts out as a girl who always plays by the rules. She doesn't want to stand out in a crowd or anything. She kind of wants life to go on the way that it is supposed to. I think that she does have a feeling deep inside of her though... like she doesn't really agree with the whole "deliria" thing.

Alex, Lena's love interest, is absolutely awesome. He cares deeply for Lena but he understands if Lena doesn't want to get in trouble for being with him, since it's practically against the law.

Hana, Lena's best friend, is pretty popular. Wherever she goes, people always stop and turn to look at her. Even though they are best friends, there is a lot that Lena doesn't know about her. I think Hana was probably one of the most interesting characters in the story. After Lena finds out her secret and something happens to put her back in her place, Hana completely changes her attitude about everything. I'm interested to see if we meet her again in Pandemonium.

My final thoughts on Delirium are simple. You must read it! It was super interesting and the world-building was amazing. I absolutely loved how Lauren came up with written pieces of the law for the beginning of each chapter as well. It was unbelievably unique. She is definitely one of my favorite authors. In the end, I can't wait to finally read Pandemonium!

Rating:
Recommended for fans of:
Dystopians
Love
Contemporary Romance
Maggie Stiefvater

Have you read this novel? I'd love to hear your thoughts!

10 comments:

  1. I only got round to reading Delirium a week or so ago and I could have slapped myself silly (not literally of course) for not reading it any sooner. I absolutely loved it! There were so many twists and turns as well as a lot of unique details and elements.
    I'm unsure if I want to read the follow up though.. I feel like Delirium was just so, dare I say, perfect, that I don't want to ruin that.
    A great review :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is one series that's been on my TBR since ages and it sounds so good that I can't wait to read it. I'm so glad you enjoyed this one and found it interesting. Awesome review, Krystianna! :D

    Sarika @ The Readdicts

    ReplyDelete
  3. I heard they are planning to do a movie of this one! :) I need to finally read it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm glad you like this one, Krystianna! I read it a few months ago and unfortunately wasn't a huge fan, but it seems to be a hit or miss thing with most people. I remember having mixed feelings on Alex and the romance, but overall I remember him being sweet. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yay! I've really got to get around to starting Pandemonium too, hopefully before the third one is released!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really enjoyed Delirium! But at some points it did get really boring. I haven't read Pandemonium yet, but I need to read it soon!

    Halee @ Confessions of a Book Addict

    ReplyDelete
  7. I found this book so slow because I was expecting it to be a standalone (don't know why...) I feel like I might need to give it a reread if I want to pick up the second book.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I enjoyed this book, but it wasn't a favorite of mine. She is such a good story teller though that I can't wait to read the sequel for it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yay! Glad you loved it! :) Delirium is one of my favorite dystopian books ever. Awesome review.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I bought this when it went on sale a few weeks ago. Thanks for your review. After the buzz, I am always afraid that there will be some sense of let down. *crossing fingers*

    ReplyDelete

Hello there! (: Thanks so much for taking the time to comment. I read each and every one!