Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Blog Tour: Interview with Liesel K. Hill, Author of Persistence of Vision!

This week, I was lucky enough to have Liesel K. Hill, the author of Persistence of Vision, stop by to do an interview!
1.       What inspired you to write Persistence of Vision?
You know, it was a bunch of things that came together. At the very start of the book, Maggie and her brother have a disturbing experience in Vegas. That incident is based on a true story. My sister’s co-worker reported a similar experience she had in Vegas with her husband. They stopped to get mixed drinks, didn’t watch them be mixed, and woke up the next day in a stranger’s hotel room. To this day, they have no idea what happened during that missing time. All the cops could say was that it was some kind of tourist trap. Creepy, right? But then my imagination just takes off. That’s what led to most of the story about Maggie and the team. It didn’t feel complete, though.
Meanwhile, in my final semester of college, I took a literary science fiction class. One of the stories we read got me thinking about collectives and the drawbacks of such a lifestyle. I started thinking about the exact moment when someone who is part of a collective decides to break away and become an individual instead, and what it would be like. David’s plot line was born and it rounded out the story nicely. The rest is history.

2.      Why did you choose to write a dystopian as your debut novel?
It wasn’t a conscious choice. I had a vision for the story, but it wasn’t until after it was written that I categorized it as any certain genre. It actually took me awhile to figure it out. I didn’t know what dystopian was, as a genre. At first I called it a scifi, but I quickly realized that hard-core scifi junkies would take issue with that classification. Eventually I came across dystopian literature and knew my novel had found its genre.

3.      Do you base your characters off of anybody you know?
No. Not in particular. I’m more likely to borrow from other characters in literature that I love than from real life. I have lots of brothers and they’re all goof balls, so I get a lot of Karl’s jokes and sense of humor from them, but none of them have his exact personality either.

4.      Did you assist the artist that designed your cover or did the artist design it by his/her self?
I helped bat around ideas. The art department hadn’t read the book so I described the creepy bad guys in it and they thought it would make a great cover image. I also suggested the dark, mountainous background to be indicative of Interchron.

5.      Interchron as a setting really intrigued and fascinated me. How did you come up with it?
Again, it was kind of the natural flow of the story. I live near Weber State University in Utah, which is situated right up against a mountain. My sisters and I hike the trails in the summer, so many of the details of the terrain came from real life. I knew they’d need somewhere out of site and that it would need to be big enough to house an entire community. Being a mountain girl myself, one thing just sort of led to another. ;D

6.      At what age did you know you were going to be a writer?
I wanted to write books from a young age, though I never saw it as my primary vocation. I was always off in my own head, making up stories and imagining myself in interesting situations. Not until college did I figure out that this is what I really ought to be doing, and nothing else.

7.      What genre of books do you like to read?
Pretty much all kinds. I love epic stories, so high fantasy is big for me, as well as multi-generational historical epics. My Goodreads shelves are many and varied, though. I’ll pick up anything that catches my attention.

8.      How many novels do you plan on writing in this series?
It’s not all planned out yet, so I can’t be sure, but I’m tentatively thinking five.

9.      Would you ever consider making a movie based on this book? If yes, who would you cast?
This is a favorite question I’m being asked a lot, but it’s difficult to answer. First of all, of course I’d love to see it made into a movie. It’d be so surreal to see something that came out of my own head played out on the screen—big or small. As for casting, I just don’t know for sure. I don’t picture any particular actor when I write my characters. Trying to match an actor to a character is kind of hard. I could throw out some names, especially the male hunks I particularly like, but would they actually be good in the part? Hard to say. I’d be happy with just about anyone, even unknowns, as long as they proved they could play the part convincingly.

10.  When are you planning on releasing the next book?
I’m not positive but I’m hoping (*crosses fingers*) to have it out by the end of this year. I’m nearly done with the writing of book 2, and I need to have a conversation with my publisher on that subject. *winces* I keep both my blog and my email list updated, though, so if you want to be kept apprised, consider following me one of those ways.

Thanks so much for having me on your blog today! Happy reading, Everyone!


Author Info
Liesel K Hill writes across three genres: scifi/fantasy, historical fiction, and crime drama. She lives in northern Utah and comes from a large, tight-knit family. She's a devout member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints and plans to keep writing until they pound the final nail into her coffin. Or until the Second Coming. You know, whichever happens first.

Author Links

2 comments:

  1. Thanks so much again, Krystianna! ;D

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful interview! I enjoyed getting to know more about Liesel and how she wrote this book...and most importantly - when she thinks she might have the next in the series out! :)

    ReplyDelete

Hello there! (: Thanks so much for taking the time to comment. I read each and every one!