Saturday, December 15, 2012

Stacking the Shelves (9)

Stacking the Shelves is a weekly meme hosted by Tynga's Reviews.
Ah, Christmas! Gemma Doyle is looking forward to a holiday from Spence Academy, spending time with her friends in the city, attending ritzy balls, and on a somber note, tending to her ailing father. As she prepares to ring in the New Year, 1896, a handsome young man, Lord Denby, has set his sights on Gemma, or so it seems. Yet amidst the distractions of London, Gemma’s visions intensify–visions of three girls dressed in white, to whom something horrific has happened, something only the realms can explain. . . .
The lure is strong, and before long, Gemma, Felicity, and Ann are turning flowers into butterflies in the enchanted world of the realms that Gemma alone can bring them to. To the girls’ great joy, their beloved Pippa is there as well, eager to complete their circle of friendship.
But all is not well in the realms–or out. The mysterious Kartik has reappeared, telling Gemma she must find the Temple and bind the magic, else great disaster will befall her. Gemma’s willing to do his intrusive bidding, despite the dangers it brings, for it means she will meet up with her mother’s greatest friend–and now her foe, Circe. Until Circe is destroyed, Gemma cannot live out her destiny. But finding Circe proves a most perilous task.

Emily Webb is a geek. And she's happy that way. Content hiding under hoodies and curling up to watch old horror flicks, she's never been the kind of girl who sneaks out for midnight parties. And she's "definitely" not the kind of girl who starts fights or flirts with other girls' boyfriends. Until one night Emily finds herself doing exactly that . . . the same night one of her classmates--also named Emily--is found mysteriously murdered.

The thing is, Emily doesn't know why she's doing any of this. By day, she's the same old boring Emily, but by night, she turns into a thrill seeker. With every nightfall, Emily gets wilder until it's no longer just her personality that changes. Her body can do things it never could before: Emily is now strong, fast, and utterly fearless. And soon Emily realizes that she's not just coming out of her shell . . . there's something much bigger going on. Is she bewitched by the soul of the other, murdered Emily? Or is Emily Webb becoming something else entirely-- something not human?

As Emily hunts for answers, she finds out that she's not the only one this is happening to--some of her classmates are changing as well. Who is turning these teens into monsters--and how many people will they kill to get what they want?

Azalea is trapped. Just when she should feel that everything is before her . . . beautiful gowns, dashing suitors, balls filled with dancing . . . it's taken away. All of it.

The Keeper understands. He's trapped, too, held for centuries within the walls of the palace. And so he extends an invitation.

Every night, Azalea and her eleven sisters may step through the enchanted passage in their room to dance in his silver forest.

But there is a cost.

The Keeper likes to "keep" things.

Azalea may not realize how tangled she is in his web until it is too late.

Can there truly be love after death?

Drifting in the dark waters of a mysterious river, the only thing Amelia knows for sure is that she's dead. With no recollection of her past life--or her actual death--she's trapped alone in a nightmarish existence. All of this changes when she tries to rescue a boy, Joshua, from drowning in her river. As a ghost, she can do nothing but "will" him to live. Yet in an unforgettable moment of connection, she helps him survive.

Amelia and Joshua grow ever closer as they begin to uncover the strange circumstances of her death and the secrets of the dark river that held her captive for so long. But even while they struggle to keep their bond hidden from the living world, a frightening spirit named Eli is doing everything in his power to destroy their newfound happiness and drag Amelia back into the ghost world . . . forever.

Thrilling and evocative, with moments of pure pleasure, "Hereafter" is a sensation you won't want to miss.
 
"This is the way the world ends - not with a bang or a whimper, but with zombies breaking down the back door."

Nineteen-year-old Remy King is on a mission to get across the wasteland left of America, and nothing will stand in her way - not violent marauders, a spoiled rock star, or an army of flesh-eating zombies.






Stubborn, sixteen-year-old Princess Venus of Kelari wants one thing, to become a kelvieri, that is, until someone exiles her to Earth, kills her irrihunter and takes her family.Now she wants revenge.

First she’s got to get home. But before she can return to Kelari, the Gods have commanded her to help an arrogant boy named Justus find his soul mate.Only she doesn't know the first thing about love.

Rather quickly, her inexperience with human emotion is obscured by other matters—alien-controlled psychotic teens that are out to kill her, and a government group that is set on capturing and dissecting her.

Worst of all, Venus will suffer a painful death-by-poisoning, thanks to Earth’s atmosphere, if she remains on the planet longer than one week.Still, Venus is a Princess and she's got a plan. Surely, with her help, Justus will fall in love with a human.

But time is running out and Justus is falling for the wrong girl—her.



What books did you get this week?

68 comments:

  1. Great haul this week! I wasn't a big fan of Hereafter I'm sorry to say.

    Hope you enjoy your new reads.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been meaning to read Entwined FOREVER! I love fairytale retellings (and have loved the fairy tale The Twelve Dancing Princesses since I was a kid). The cover is so pretty.

    Happy reading :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You got some great picks this week! I have wanted to read a lot of these books myself:) Hollowland and Hereafter look really good.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I still haven't finished the Gemma Doyle trilogy (the last book was MASSIVE) but I do want to buy them. They're great. Rebel Hearts is the only book you got that I've actually read. I do want Entwined though.

    I hope you enjoy all your books :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice haul! Entwined sounds really good and I love the cover. Thanks for stopping by. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great haul, Krystianna! I enjoyed Hereafter and I hope you enjoy all these books :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. I bought Hollowland a while ago but I still have to read it and I've never heard of Exiled but it looks and sound awesome.

    Have fun reading! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great haul! I heard entwined is a good choice. the only book I read in you haul is HereAfter, it's a good story with a simple short love triangle. :)) Happy reading and thanks for following my blog.
    stay tuned
    -Chyna of lite-rate-ture

    ReplyDelete
  9. OOh nice!! Looooved Hereafter! Still have to read that book by Amanda Hocking! Won it some time back last year but haven't gotten to it yet! Happy Reading!

    My STS will be up tomorrow, so be sure to stop by!

    Have a GREAT weekend!

    Old Follower :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great books...I really enjoyed Entwined...and hope to eventually pick up a few of your other new books!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Awesome haul! I've had Vesper on my wishlist for a long time, it sounds so good--I hope you enjoy it! Happy reading, and thanks for stopping by my post earlier! =D

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hereafter was a sweet romance. Entwined was completely different than any thing I usually read but I really enjoyed it. Hollowland was great too! Thanks for stopping by and happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love the Gemma Doyle series. It's one of my favorite historical fantasies. I need to read Hereafter and Hollowland sometime. Happy reading!

    Thanks for visiting my haul.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Entwined looks SO good, I think I need to add it to my list of books to read!! Nice haul this week!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I LOVE Rebel Angels. All of the books in the Gemma Doyle trilogy are fantastic. I love the cover of Entwined. (:

    Happy Reading!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I really enjoyed the HEREAFTER series and I have ENTWINED on my list. Also the Gemma Doyle series was lots of fun.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hereafter and the Gemma Doyle series are very awesome books. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Really great haul. They all sound good.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hollowland was one of the best zombie books I've read {so I hope you love it (:} I think I may finally cave and grab a copy of Hereafter I've heard great things about it.

    Thanks for stopping by Read. Sleep. Repeat.

    (new follower via GFC)

    ReplyDelete
  20. These all look great! I really need to catch up on the Libba Bray series someday! I really enjoyed book 1.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Great haul! I hope you enjoy all that you got. Happy reading.

    Thanks for stopping by my STS

    Sabina @ Delirious About Books

    ReplyDelete
  22. Thanks for stopping by my STS! Vesper sounds really good! I started the Hereafter a few weeks ago, but lost interest and didn't finish. I was thinking of maybe picking it up again and giving it another shot. Great haul!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I never read farther than Rebel Angels. I'm going to have to re-read that one some day, and finish the series because I really liked that book. Also looking forward to Entwined. Thanks for visiting and enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Awesome haul! I loved Hereafter, but the sequel didn't really do much ):
    & i've been meaning to try vesper for awhile.

    Thanks for stopping by My STS! :D

    ReplyDelete
  25. Ohh, lots of awesome :D I loved Entwined so, so much. <3 Perfect book. Hereafter is amazing as well :D Hope you enjoy them all ;)
    Thank you for commenting on my mailbox. <3
    Love, Carina @ Carina's Books

    ReplyDelete
  26. Some awesome books for you this week! Like the look of Vesper! Happy reading :)
    Thanks for stopping by my StS.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Awesome haul!!! I haven't even touched the Libba Bray series yet but I have to start so soon. I feel like I'm the only person on the planet who hasn't read a Libba Bray book yet(gagghh). Happy Reading!!

    And thanks for stopping by my haul :)

    ReplyDelete
  28. Great haul! I have Vesper on my want list =) I hope you enjoy them all!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Wow, lots of awesome books you got this week! I've wanted to read the Gemma Doyle series for a while now, and the cover for Exiled is just insanely pretty. Vesper sounds really interesting too, I'd never heard of it before.
    Thanks for stopping by earlier :)

    ReplyDelete
  30. Great book haul! I'll be looking forward to hearing what you think!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Wow! I haven't heard of any of those!! They sounds like great reads though!! Happy Reading!

    ReplyDelete
  32. I started reading Entwined, but didn't finish it (I have to go back and try it again :) I haven't read these, but they sound really good!

    Happy reading and thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  33. I think I picked up Entwined and Hereafter a while ago for cheap on Kindle! Still need to get around to reading them tho >_<
    I read A Great and Terrible Beauty SO long ago and I remember at the time that I didn't really like it, but so many people love this series that I think I need to give it another shot... :)

    Thanks for stopping by!

    Michele | Stacking the Shelves | Giveaway

    ReplyDelete
  34. What a great haul this week!!! A lot of new ones to me but definitely need to check them out, they all look great! Thanks for sharing, happy reading & thanks for stopping by my StS earlier! Sorry it took me so long to get back :)

    Micheline @ Lunar Rainbows

    ReplyDelete

Hello there! (: Thanks so much for taking the time to comment. I read each and every one!