Sunday, December 2, 2012

Downright Discussion: Series: Are They Better Than Standalones?

This week on Downright Discussions, I decided to talk about series. I feel as if there are so many series that are going right now. Sometimes it just gets hard to keep up with all the books. Mostly, I feel like there are many trilogies. Let's see if I can name a few... The Chemical Garden Trilogy, Black City Trilogy, Matched Trilogy, Delirium Trilogy, Across The Universe Trilogy... I could keep going if you'd like. The thing I like about trilogies is that you really get to know the characters much better than you would in a standalone because you're with them over the span of three books rather than one.

Sometimes it's just nice to sit and read an entire book and experience all the same emotions that you would over a span of three novels in one. You get the epic romance, the problem, and in the end the problem is solved and the character has his/her happily after after. Plus, you don't really get the feeling that something was left unresolved.

In the end, I think I'd have to side with series. Though it gets annoying since you have to keep purchasing the books, I really like getting to know the characters much better. Plus, you get to spend three years with them since a new book usually comes out each year. With standalones, it's usually only 1-3 days.

What are you're thoughts on series and standalones? Which do you like better?

10 comments:

  1. I'm all for series. Most of my favorite books are trilogies, and I like duologies too. I agree that it can be nice to switch it up with standalones, but when I fall in love with certain characters or a certain storyline I want to get as much out of it as possible.

    However, series with more than 4 books tend to frighten me a little. I've just read City of Bones and loved it, but the prospect of 4, soon to be 4 more books in those series AND a prequel series? It's a little overwhelming.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that my favorites are trilogies too. There's always an amazing intro, middle, and finale. :)

      Delete
  2. Great discussion topic! I'm getting a little fed up with series, to be honest. I like trilogies a lot - time to get to know the characters, but the books don't go on forever. I can't even start listing the many series with more than half a dozen books that I never started reading even though they sounded great, simply because I have neither the time nor the money to buy and read all those books! I mean, there are Urban Fantasy series with like 15 books published and no end in sight! With really long series I sometimes also get the suspicion that it's just to prolong things and make more money with less effort because the world building and reader-character connection is already there. Same with movies. Suddenly everything has a sequel.

    I'm not saying that there aren't some amazing series out there that I will be sad to see ending. I'm just wondering whether people know how to write standalones anymore? Are they afraid of writing an ending readers won't like? I just wish there were more YA paranormal standalones. If anyone can recommend any, be my guest :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are tons of series. I've probably got like 40 on my shelf, mostly just the first books.

      Delete
  3. I think publishers tend to go for authors who are willing to write series. You know, get more bang for their buck. Honestly, I think series are all right-trilogies especially. But like Carmen and Judith said, if they go on FOREVER, things get redundant. However, I don't mind standalones either-I definitely think that it depends on the kind of book. (Whereas realistic fiction tend toward standalone, sci-fi and fantasy are usually series).

    Great discussion topic!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the same thing. I do really enjoy series, but trilogies especially as well. :)

      Delete
  4. I'm more of a standalone girl-I've been burned a bit too much by stories that feel stretched out solely to make me shell out for three books. Of course there are series I love, but I do tend to choose standalones right now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't actually read that many standalones. I do love the feeling of it actually being a full story within one book.

      Delete
  5. Woah, great topic! I could read everyone's opinion on that for hours! I personally love to curl up with a bunch of books in a series and get lost in that one particular world. But in order for that to work out the series must be epic, fantastic, like...totally addicting! I did that with the Harry Potter books and kind of somewhat, in a way with The Mortal Instruments (at least with the later books)and I think series like Pretty Little Liars or Gossip Girl that go on forever, but are quick and entertaining reads are okay, too because you can just decide to stop or continue reading whenever you feel like it. What's getting on my nerves a bit are all the trilogies - especially in dystopian series. It's always the first book introducing ther world and the characters, the second book the building of a revolution and the third the final showdown...I think dystopians are so similar these days anyway - the fact that the structure of the series is the same with (almost) all of the stories makes it worse...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. :) Dystopians are starting to get similar, but for some reason, I still enjoy them. I have a feeling that at some point I'll get bored with them.

      Delete

Hello there! (: Thanks so much for taking the time to comment. I read each and every one!